Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

8 Bird Store Secrets Revealed

Comment or discuss articles from the trained parrot blog.

Postby Michael » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:20 pm

8 bird store secrets that bird stores don't tell you exposed in this article and video.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: 8 Bird Store Secrets Revealed

Postby Pajarita » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:27 am

Great info, Michael! Thank you for posting it. Although I do not agree with No. 8 at all ('leftover' birds? - how unkind and not true at all *), I concur 100% with all the other ones.

* Grays and conures do NOT breed all year round. The premise is not only incorrect, it's completely unscientific as there are no animals that breed all year round - the species would become extinct, if they did as birds need to recover from the depletion that breeding creates during the resting season. But, unfortunately for the birds and their owners, there are breeders that do breed them all year round -sometimes from greed, sometimes from ignorance- so, although an off-season baby is usually never as healthy as a baby born during the right season, it doesn't mean they are 'leftovers'. Furthermore, the ones that were born on the right season but not bought when still babies do not necessarily have any problem with them and they still deserve a good home. The offer is so large right now that every Tom, Dick and Harry are breeding them that we are going to find more and more birds that were not placed in their forever home as babies...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Michael » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:21 pm

I don’t think anything bad is meant about “leftover” birds but when someone is paying top dollar because they have the purpose of getting a baby bird, then they wouldn’t be getting the full value of a very young, naive, impressionable baby for the same money. Might as well adopt a rehome/rescue bird at that point.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Pajarita » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:23 pm

Yes, indeed. Personally, I would always recommend adoption over buying a baby. It took a loooong time for people to realize that a rescue dog is as good as or even easier to deal with than a puppy so I guess -and hope- we can do it sooner with birds.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to TrainedParrot.com - Parrot Training Blog Comments