Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Absolute Minimum Cage Size for Parrots

Comment or discuss articles from the trained parrot blog.

Postby Michael » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:40 pm

This is an analysis of cage sizes and a look at what the absolute minimum standard had to be. This isn't just for people seeking to buy a cage but also to help owners of existing parrots (particularly large ones) be able to evaluate if their cage is actually big enough. Many caring people might not realize that it really isn't.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Absolute Minimum Cage Size for Parrots

Postby wooton » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:03 pm

I really love the cage setup u have for santina. I unfortunetly cannot afford something like that for my two macaws. I was able to purchase a walk in aviary from petco, dimensions are 110" ×62". My two macaws love this big cage to play in. Internet Price: $2,399.99. I love your views on birds needing bigger cages. To many times I see people with these beautiful birds in a cage so small they can't even open their wings and it just breaks my heart.
wooton
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Military macaw. Blue and gold macaw. Yellow naped amazon

Postby Michael » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:22 pm

Big birds carry a big price tag on care. That's just how it is. That aviary sounds like a very reasonable "cage" given the size and size of birds. I wish people would stop keeping macaws in regular cages cause they just aren't big enough.

People need to realize that this isn't a grand enclosure but just acceptable given the size of the bird. Sure for a budgie it may be very big but for a macaw it's just the same as scaling a good cage for a small bird to big cage for a big bird. People have to stop thinking about the price of the bird and focus more on the housing and long term costs to determine if they can afford to keep such an animal. Sure I'd love to have a pet dolphin but it won't fit in my bathtub... I'd need to buy an aqua-park to house it in barely minimum conditions!
Michael
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby CSLFiero » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:48 am

life is so much easier with a bird room. I don't worry about minimum size, I let my parrot decide whats comfortable. He chooses to go into a relatively tiny cage for food and toys and protection. I often find him in there looking for scraps or hiding from new tenants. With an open cage policy and a bird room, I've come to find there is no cruelty in putting a bird in a cage too small for him to eat or sleep. in the end, he does in fact spend 14-16 hours of a day in his cage because of sleep, feeding, and choice, so I think one has to ask themselves "is the size of the cage cruel or is the lack of freedom to leave it?".
CSLFiero
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Jardine's

Postby Wolf » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:51 pm

Cage, bird room, aviary or what it is all the same. Doesn't matter What you call it, it is still a cage. Being kept confined is a too small of an area is always cruelty.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Return to TrainedParrot.com - Parrot Training Blog Comments