Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Why It's Good to Stress Your Parrot

Comment or discuss articles from the trained parrot blog.

Postby Michael » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:34 am

Article about managing stress for parrots. Companion parrots need stress in their life and this article is about how to provide healthy levels of stress to keep your parrot fit and robust.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Why It's Good to Stress Your Parrot

Postby GlassOnion » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:54 pm

Very nice article! My 1 yr old Ruppell's parrot is extremely tame with me, but phobic of other people (she's been like this since she was a baby). Hopefully I can get her to overcome this with time!
GlassOnion
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels, Ruppell's Parorot

Postby Michael » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:34 pm

Wow, you got a ruppels? That's so cool. Pictures?
Michael
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby GlassOnion » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:14 pm

Yeah! I got her in January. Pois are so different from my tiels.. She's really, really, really high maintenance! Very smart and keeps me on my toes everyday. Hates with being inside a cage and will cry all day long (which is driving me insane!!), she also divebombs my other guys. She's super pretty though, it's like when you marry a girl for her looks... :roll: But I love her nonetheless.

http://imgur.com/a/VbUvf#Zzsiydu
GlassOnion
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels, Ruppell's Parorot

Postby KaratParrot » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:42 am

Researchers from the Netherlands at Utretcht University published a study on feather picking just last month in Applied Animal Behaviour Science called Behavioural testing to determine differences between coping styles in Grey parrots (Psittacus erithacus erithacus) with and without feather damaging behaviour that strongly shows correlation of personality traits being linked to feather destructive behavior (FDB) in african greys. They concluded that birds who became more easily stressed where more likely to feather pick.

But what really gets me is when you say
Likewise, boredom (and related problems like screaming or plucking) is a byproduct of insufficient stress in a parrot's life.
I can send you to many researches from the University of California in Davis that would be happy to show you real research and say that boredom is a stressor. At least it is in their flock of OW Amazon parrots. When giving birds the opportunity for contrafreeloading (you may know this as foraging) FDB was not pronounced in these birds. Birds given access to food in a bowl all day without stimulation showed greater propensity of FDB. Stress causes stereotypical behaviors it doesn't prevent them. You seem to have stress and mental stimulation confused. You might want to change that.
KaratParrot
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0

Return to TrainedParrot.com - Parrot Training Blog Comments