Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

What Kind of Parrot Should I Get?

Comment or discuss articles from the trained parrot blog.

Postby Michael » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:20 pm

What kind of parrot should I get is one of the most common questions I get. In this article I took about some criteria for choosing whether or not to get a bird at all in the first place, what kinds of questions to ask, what things to look out for.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: What Kind of Parrot Should I Get?

Postby 9Beaks » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:38 am

Excellent article, Michael! I can't begin to tell you how many people there are out there who don't have a clue about what it takes to properly care for a bird, but they get one anyway! Most of the birds I have are from people who didnt think first before acquiring a bird, or just plain lost interest once the novelty wore off. It breaks my heart to see so many birds in sad situations, and my home and time are at limit with the birds I care for, I just can't take them all in!!! I do my best to guide and educate, and I refer them to your website. I try to catch people before they get a bird, and present the same information that you have presented here. In doing so I've had more than one person who has changed their minds about getting a bird. I wish there was more I could do for our feathered friends.
9Beaks
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 8
Types of Birds Owned: Green-cheek conures, Sun conures, Nanday conure, Senegal, and budgie

Re: What Kind of Parrot Should I Get?

Postby cml » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:00 am

Great article. Parrot ownership is hard, and its very difficult to convince prospective owners of that. I was aware of it before getting mine, but to know just HOW tough it is, you have to live it.

Your article helps people looking for a parrot, and I think everyone should read it.
Stitch (WFA) and Leroy (BWP)
cml
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: White fronted amazon, Bronze winged pionus

Return to TrainedParrot.com - Parrot Training Blog Comments