Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Kili's First Outdoor Freeflight

Comment or discuss articles from the trained parrot blog.

Postby Michael » Wed May 22, 2013 10:48 pm

Kili flew outside without a harness. Read the full story here. Whatever you do, don't try this at home.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Kili's First Outdoor Freeflight

Postby 9Beaks » Thu May 23, 2013 2:35 am

:senegal: Michael, I can't help but feel you are putting your bird at uneccessary risk by allowing her to fly outdoors unrestrained. Anytime your bird is outside of a controlled environment (ie: your bird-safe home), you cannot possibly contemplate or control what could happen. Other people, animals, birds, gusts of wind, really anything, could happen that might cause you to lose Kili in the blink of an eye. Every aspect of Kili's life is in your hands, she has no choice but to trust you to watch out for her, in the very world you have created for her. To place her unrestrained in the outside world is irresponsible, as Kili has zero means of taking care of herself outside of her world of Michael. I have no doubt the love you have for your birds, and know you would be devastated should you lose them. Please reconsider ever putting your birds in an unrestrained situation when outdoors.
9Beaks
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 8
Types of Birds Owned: Green-cheek conures, Sun conures, Nanday conure, Senegal, and budgie

Postby Meehlticket » Fri May 24, 2013 3:23 am

After living with my cockatoo since she was a week old, I feel I know her pretty well. We've lived in a variety of situations and I have flown her in a variety of places, inside and out. Almost every time she has flown unrestrained outside it has been unintentional, usually because she has unfastened her harness. My heart stops until she is back with me. It is very comforting to know my cockatoo is trained to recall. For me, those are my choices: Dependably trained to recall, regardless of surroundings, regardless of line of sight, or to have those wings clipped. As much as I wish otherwise, those times I can feel what she is feeling, and she looks at me with those eyes that say, "It's ok, I'll be ok, just trust me", I will still use a harness when flying my cockatoo outside... the thought of losing her is too horrible to contemplate.
I applaud you on the exposure of your parrots to a wide variety of surroundings and people. I agree that a child audience can be negative or positive. My cockatoo is a rarity; she eagerly seeks out children. I've learned, however, to quickly turn the experience into a controlled learning opportunity for the children, and my parrot. With the emphasis on quick and control!
My Pionus is an observer, easily frightened. I think that is because her nature is to be part of a flock, but she only has my cockatoo and me. While she is willing to step up for just about anyone... that is as far as she wants to go. She also has lived in a variety of environments with me, however, because of her fear outside - even in a familiar place, she will always have her wings clipped. (I frequently hear of someone losing a parrot outside because their flight feathers grew back -- that is what happened with my African Grey -- that is why I"m typing this a three in the morning - can't sleep while he is still lost. It has been five days, but that is a whole other issue - lost birds. :violin: )
I enjoy your Facebook stories and the YouTube videos very much. I think you, Kili, and Truman are amazing. I appreciate what you have to teach us. Keep them comin'!
Meehlticket
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Umbrella cockatoo
Dusky Pionus
African Grey

Postby angelblue » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:14 pm

Wow. I am amazed at your bravado. I didn't read past "I took Kili's harness off and let her fly." I am assuming that she indeed did as she was trained, and returned to you. My only thought is this-- please train Kili to fend for herself in the wild before you put her health at risk again. Everyday I see careless owners trust they know what will happen, and I haven't been reading your blog long but I was sure you weren't that naive. I do hope she has a microchip.
angelblue
Parrotlet

Types of Birds Owned: Amazons. Yellow nape, orange wing and Panama
Flight: No

Return to TrainedParrot.com - Parrot Training Blog Comments