Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Essential Safety Measures for Clipped and Flighted Parrots

Comment or discuss articles from the trained parrot blog.

Postby Michael » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:22 am

Bird proofing a home for flighted and clipped parrots is essential to their safety. This article is about how to ensure that a parrot cannot escape out the front door or a window by using foolproof safety precautions.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Essential Safety Measures for Clipped and Flighted Parrots

Postby marie83 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:49 am

Excellent article Michael, if it only prevents one parrot from escaping then it will be well worth the time it took you to write this.
Hopefully this will help people realise that even with the most careful owner that accidents do happen but an accident doesnt have to be a disaster with a back up method in place.
marie83
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby janetafloat » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:16 pm

Thanks for this Michael - since I live in a small house that has a front door and a patio door opening straight into the living room it's been on my mind that I need to get more robust measures in place, particularly as the warmer weather comes. This article has highlighted the dangers and given me some ideas about how I could address them
janetafloat
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal

Postby angelblue » Sun May 05, 2013 5:15 pm

Ok I have always lived in a house with ceiling fans so I never even thought about flight training. Now I live in an apartment and the fans are gone and I have two parrots that are still working on step up training. I am thinking about what I will need to keep them safe as their wings grow out. Does anyone have ideas that could be used in an apartment-- a rental I can't alter? The front door is around a curve which in this case provides a hallway but the back is a large sliding door. I can't put a catch over it--at least I can't figure out what I could do that would not be unsightly and dangerous. I would love a suggestion, and please note I am not a builder so I need something made for me---inexpensively. Thanks for anyone with ideas. :amazon:
angelblue
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Amazons. Yellow nape, orange wing and Panama
Flight: No

Return to TrainedParrot.com - Parrot Training Blog Comments