Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

DIY Swinging Perch

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

DIY Swinging Perch

Postby banuvatt » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:40 pm

A friend of my sister wants to get a cockatiel. Even though I don't own a bird currently I want to try to make a swinging perch for his future bird. I like the classical swinging bird perches where there is a metal hoop attached to a dowel rod. But, of course I want to improve on this anyway I can like for instance instead of using a dowel rod use a grape vine branch instead for example. I would appreciate any advice or information that is shared on building one, thank you.
banuvatt
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: I don't own any birds currently.
Flight: No

Re: DIY Swinging Perch

Postby Pajarita » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:08 am

I would assume that the easiest swing you can make is a triangle made out of little branches somehow attached together... But, please, tell your sister's friend that having a single cockatiel is not kind at all. Cockatiels are not companion parrots, they are aviary, and although they do learn to love humans and enjoy their attentions, they are never truly happy unless they have companions of their own species. See if you can convince her to get a male/female pair, instead - or, at least, two of the same gender.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby banuvatt » Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:13 pm

How far should the bars be apart from each other and how tall should the bars be? Should the bars be as far apart as the wingspan of the bird? I don't know whether this is correct or not it is only my assumption.
banuvatt
Cockatiel

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:59 am

No, they don't have to be spaced out to the wingspan of the bird - I would say that twice as wide as the body of the bird is good enough - or maybe 2.5 times. At least, all the commercial swings are like that and the birds have no trouble landing on them (they fold the wings a split second before they land so they fit).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby banuvatt » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:43 pm

Okay thank you for your response back it was very helpful.
banuvatt
Cockatiel

Postby banuvatt » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:50 pm

I know this is probably highly doubtful. But, do you know whether there is anywhere online where I could find the width of pet birds, but cockatiels in particular?
banuvatt
Cockatiel

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:41 am

You mean the body itself with the wings folded? I would say a tiel at the shoulders is no more than 2.5 inches wide.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby banuvatt » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:26 pm

Okay thank you.
banuvatt
Cockatiel

Postby banuvatt » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:48 am

Is there anyway to figure this out with other birds as well?
banuvatt
Cockatiel

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:38 am

Well, I was going by memory of what a tiel's body looks like but I guess you can calculate the width by looking at pictures of the species in question and comparing it to their length - which they always tell you when they describe the species.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY