Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Chewables instead of actual store-bought toys :)

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

Chewables instead of actual store-bought toys :)

Postby CaketheParrot » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:26 pm

Probably everyone already knows this ‘cause I’m pretty new to parrot care, but I’m excited to have realized it all the same! Recently, we’ve discovered through experimentation that Cake the African Gray (who is now named Lurky- grey Lurky was actually my sister who was tired of sharing an account, and she convinced to to change Cake’s name slowly) really doesn’t care about how fancy or official or expensive toys are. Lurky does have a few typical-looking toys she rarely plays with, but she absolutely loves chewing through different materials I’ve dubbed chewables. Old newspapers, cardboard, vine balls, those loose ads from Reader’s Digest, etc We tried paper towels and fabrics, but she prefers crunchy crispy stuff. (We’re keeping her other toys since Lurky does enjoy the ~occasional~ nibble-session). We’re going to keep experimenting until we can have a variety we can switch out to leave with her so she doesn’t get tire of them (as of rn, we hand feed it to her and switch out between the few materials, but after a while she gets tired of the limited variety until the next day).

:gray: :gray: :gray: :gray: :gray: :gray: :gray: :gray: :gray: :gray: :gray: :gray: :gray: :gray:
Thanks and love from Cake :gray:
CaketheParrot
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: African Gray, Finch, Canary
Flight: Yes

Re: Chewables instead of actual store-bought toys :)

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:17 am

Yes, all parrots want to do is chew and they don't care if it's an expensive toy or just a catalog rolled up and stuck between the bars of the cage. But, in my personal experience, grays only chew when they are hormonal and not all year round like other species so make sure the diet and the light schedule is the right one.

As to changing the name... well, I don't agree with that. Parrots understand and use the concept of names. Their parents name them when they are in the nest and they continue using the same name or a close variation of it (like a nickname) all their lives to identify themselves so changing the name of an adult parrot is only going to confuse it and make its life harder. Basically, it only benefits the vanity of the owner and never the bird and, in my book, everything one does for the bird has to benefit the bird and not the human.

Having said that, there are parrots who do not know their own name because the owners never really did teach it the right way - if that is the case, then changing the name is OK but the 'new' name should be the one the parrot calls itself. Epuish Caique was called Condorito but he never responded to that name so I changed it to Epuish which is the name he calls himself. Same with my beloved Keku Quaker - her previous owners had named her Gryphon but she called herself Keku. Javi Caique was Cheeks for ten years but he responds to Javi even though this is not the name he gives himself (Javi, to him, means 'human') - his name is actually something that sounds like Beh sheh beh but if I call out Javi, he immediately replies with another 'JAVI!' Zeus Zon had had his named changed by his previous -and second- owner to Oscar but he mentioned that his previous owners called him Zeus and when I tried both names, he knew the name Zeus but not the name Oscar so Zeus it is. Linus Too actually thinks his name is Hello and that humans are all Hi Linus :lol: but he responds to Linus so it stayed.

So, listen to Cake and see what name he/she uses for him/herself because it will make its life better and your life easier if you use the bird's 'real' name.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby CaketheParrot » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:27 am

Pajarita wrote:As to changing the name... well, I don't agree with that. Parrots understand and use the concept of names. Their parents name them when they are in the nest and they continue using the same name or a close variation of it (like a nickname) all their lives to identify themselves so changing the name of an adult parrot is only going to confuse it and make its life harder. Basically, it only benefits the vanity of the owner and never the bird and, in my book, everything one does for the bird has to benefit the bird and not the human.

Having said that, there are parrots who do not know their own name because the owners never really did teach it the right way - if that is the case, then changing the name is OK but the 'new' name should be the one the parrot calls itself. Epuish Caique was called Condorito but he never responded to that name so I changed it to Epuish which is the name he calls himself. Same with my beloved Keku Quaker - her previous owners had named her Gryphon but she called herself Keku. Javi Caique was Cheeks for ten years but he responds to Javi even though this is not the name he gives himself (Javi, to him, means 'human') - his name is actually something that sounds like Beh sheh beh but if I call out Javi, he immediately replies with another 'JAVI!' Zeus Zon had had his named changed by his previous -and second- owner to Oscar but he mentioned that his previous owners called him Zeus and when I tried both names, he knew the name Zeus but not the name Oscar so Zeus it is. Linus Too actually thinks his name is Hello and that humans are all Hi Linus :lol: but he responds to Linus so it stayed.

So, listen to Cake and see what name he/she uses for him/herself because it will make its life better and your life easier if you use the bird's 'real' name.

Wow I had no idea they had their own names! That’s so cool! How can you tell what they call themselves. Cake/Lurky never really responds to anything in a way that shows that’s her name, at least not in a way I can tell that’s what’s happening. She’ll call out her old name but only for attention as part of a phrase we use to call her.
CaketheParrot
Lovebird

Postby banuvatt » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:29 am

Try pieces of untreated pine cutting them into different shapes and sizes then beading them on to a natural cord. This could make a fun cheap toy for your bird.

Keep the name I think Cake is a cute name for your bird
banuvatt
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: I don't own any birds currently.
Flight: No

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:55 am

Parrots use their own name to call attention to themselves or to 'introduce' themselves. For example, if a parrot hears there is people in the next room but cannot see them, it will say its own name as if saying: "It's Jane Doe here" - sometimes they even say it in the same exact tone that a person would use when walking into a house where there is a door open to find out if there is people in the house - you know, like "Hellooooo? Anybody home?" Linus Too does that in the evening, when it's almost dark but not completely so he is still awake and he hears me and the dogs coming upstairs (the large parrot room is next door to my bedroom) he goes: "Hellooooo? Hellooooo?" very softly. Or, when a bird is on a perch and wants you to go to him or he sees you eating something he wants, he will say his own name in an excited sort of way - often repeating it (Epuish does this all the time). Of course, you have birds that actually understand human speech and know their own name as a 'name' (meaning the actual word 'name'). Sweetpea Senegal's name used to be Sabu for 11 years but he never said it or responded to it and, apparently, he had decided that his name was Sweetpea so he would not only respond to this name (he comes when called), he would also ask: "What's your name?" and answer: "Sweetpea!" but, sometimes, he likes to make a joke with it and he will ask: "What's your name?" and reply: "Sweet baby bird" or "Sweet Pretty bird" (which are two things i always say to them) and when I laugh and tell him: "No, you are not Sweet baby bird. You are Sweetpea!" he will laugh: "Hee Hee Hee"
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby CaketheParrot » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:23 am

banuvatt wrote:Try pieces of untreated pine cutting them into different shapes and sizes then beading them on to a natural cord. This could make a fun cheap toy for your bird.

Ooh good idea

Keep the name I think Cake is a cute name for your bird

Aww thanks!
CaketheParrot
Lovebird

Postby CaketheParrot » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:25 am

Pajarita wrote:Parrots use their own name to call attention to themselves or to 'introduce' themselves. For example, if a parrot hears there is people in the next room but cannot see them, it will say its own name as if saying: "It's Jane Doe here" - sometimes they even say it in the same exact tone that a person would use when walking into a house where there is a door open to find out if there is people in the house - you know, like "Hellooooo? Anybody home?"

Ohh okay, we’ll watch out for “Cake” ‘s real name then. Thanks for letting us know!

Linus Too does that in the evening, when it's almost dark but not completely so he is still awake and he hears me and the dogs coming upstairs (the large parrot room is next door to my bedroom) he goes: "Hellooooo? Hellooooo?" very softly. Or, when a bird is on a perch and wants you to go to him or he sees you eating something he wants, he will say his own name in an excited sort of way - often repeating it (Epuish does this all the time). Of course, you have birds that actually understand human speech and know their own name as a 'name' (meaning the actual word 'name'). Sweetpea Senegal's name used to be Sabu for 11 years but he never said it or responded to it and, apparently, he had decided that his name was Sweetpea so he would not only respond to this name (he comes when called), he would also ask: "What's your name?" and answer: "Sweetpea!" but, sometimes, he likes to make a joke with it and he will ask: "What's your name?" and reply: "Sweet baby bird" or "Sweet Pretty bird" (which are two things i always say to them) and when I laugh and tell him: "No, you are not Sweet baby bird. You are Sweetpea!" he will laugh: "Hee Hee Hee"

Oh my goodness that’s adorable!! :lol:
CaketheParrot
Lovebird

Postby Pajarita » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:21 pm

Is there such a thing as a parrot that is not adorable?! :D I think they all are.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby banuvatt » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:18 pm

I think the voices of Indian ring necked parakeets are adorable. There are a bunch of videos on YouTube of them saying "what are you doing?" I love how they impersonate I remember seeing one video of two male IRN parakeets talking to each other it was the cutest thing ever. They were named Fabio(green one), and Gabriel(blue one.) Fabio said to Gabriel "come on baby, give me a kiss, thank you." They even synchronized kissing saying "Muwahhh" Fabio said after "I love you."
banuvatt
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: I don't own any birds currently.
Flight: No

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY