Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Tips for Getting Birds to Play with Toys and Be Happy with T

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

Tips for Getting Birds to Play with Toys and Be Happy with T

Postby vv_boi » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:53 pm

Hi all! New here so I hope my first post goes well and I do everything correct!

Anyway, subject says it all, for some reason, all my parrots have lost interest in their toys, foraging, and they only want to spend time with me, but I feel as if it's an unhealthy amount. When I leave the room the contact calls are BANANAS. So loud, and while I or my partner always call back to them it's gotten to a point where I can't do anything unless they see me. It never used to be like this. The other odd thing is that my one Amazon has no interest in his cage toys, but when he's out all he want to do is chew my furniture, shoes and what not. I've even tried to match the material he's chewing on out of his cage to what toys he has in his cage, and he has no interest!

I always switch toys out so it's not that, and I've heard acting like a goofball and showing your parrots that toys are fun by playing with them in front of them, but my parrots don't seem to respond to that tactic either, so any other ideas?

From a health standpoint they are all fine! No other odd behavior and they all have had their checkups recently. The Amazon is a little overweight but he came to me that way, and we are working on it. They all eat a veggie chop in the AM and then pellets in the PM. They have cages full of toys, some store bought and some handmade. I try to have them out during the day as long a possible and they get covered and go to bed around 8 every night. They are not clipped and can fly freely.

Thanks or any and all advice!
vv_boi
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Lutino Cocktail
White Face Pied Cockatiel
Yellow Naped Amazon
Flight: Yes

Re: Tips for Getting Birds to Play with Toys and Be Happy with T

Postby Michael » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:56 pm

It’s a combination of finding the right toys, teaching the bird to play with them, foraging, and replacing them appropriately. Check out the video and check out my selection of bird toys that are more appealing to parrots than most toys.

And check out some of my favorite foraging toys like the Natural Foraging Box and Cardboard toys.
Michael
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Pajarita » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:39 am

Personally, I do not believe that parrots actually play with toys - if they do, I've never had one that did. Going by my personal experience, I think they use the toys to display behaviors. For example, when a parrot chews a toy, is not 'playing' with it, it's simply displaying a breeding behavior. When a parrot attacks a toy (I had a male amazon that used to beat the crap out of his toys), is not playing with it but using it to redirect aggression. Foraging toys are great but, in reality, all the parrot wants is to get the treat and, as my birds do not get a whole lot of treats, it makes no sense for me to spend a lot of money buying something that will not really be used.

What my birds get is many hours of out-of-cage and stuff to chew in their cages. The amazons love to 'peel' the bark off tree branches and things like boxes made out of thick cardboard put upside down so they can chew a little 'door' and go inside (I use the large boxes of diapers, Amazon delivery boxes, etc), rolled-up unread catalogs (I get the free ones for homes or cars -the kind that has no staples on them- from the supermarket rack) and magazines. For the tiels, I would get small ones made of dried grasses or little paper straws - like these:

https://www.chewy.com/planet-pleasures- ... /dp/158503
https://www.chewy.com/fetch-it-pets-tri ... /dp/186067

or the ones made out of dried yucca - like these:
https://www.amazon.com/Wesco-Fiesta-Kab ... B0002FP1WA
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VP865WF/re ... s9dHJ1ZQ==

But, in truth, there is nothing in terms of entertainment that compares to their being allowed to come out and fly -for the tiels- or roam around -for the amazons. And yes, the amazons DO chew everything that they can get their beak on (especially during breeding season and we are on it right now!): furniture, baseboards, molding, etc. What I do is prevent them from reaching them by covering the furniture with old quilts or putting obstacles in front -right now and because of the 'season', we have old speakers, boxes, containers, etc all lined up around the floor when they are out and, when it's time for them to go back into their cage (2:30 pm this time of the year), I pick up all the stuff laying around, stick it in a closet until the next morning, and put a nice, thick 'brand new' box in their cage and they go straight for it. :D
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby vv_boi » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:26 pm

@pajarita

You've brought up a ton of stuff I see in my Amazon. When my partner is around he attacks the toys in aggressions since he isn't able to bite my partner.

I also forgot to mention, that my Amazon is OBSESSED with boxes. In fact that is the only thing right now I can get him to chew on. When he is out I find all kinds of boxes, rip off any tape or stickers and let him have at it. I think he (could be a she to be honest) is using the boxes as nesting sites for sure. So I simply try to monitor him and make sure he doesn't get too stimulated.

I've had the idea of blocking all the woodwork in my home, and since you are recommending it maybe it's time I do so haha :D

Thanks for your insight, this definitely helps me realize that my parrots behaviors aren't out of the ordinary and that my Amazon is acting pretty normal for the season. My cockatiels are a little more receptive of toys, I think I may just have to get better at which toys they like and definitely provide better foraging for them.
vv_boi
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Lutino Cocktail
White Face Pied Cockatiel
Yellow Naped Amazon

Postby Pajarita » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:42 am

There you go! Brilliant minds and all that :lol: I have found that the best (and cheapest) foraging toys for them is to simply wrap the treat with paper and then put it inside a small box, inside a larger box. The zons start with the larger box and, once they get inside, they start on the smaller one, chew the paper away and get to the treat inside. But, in all honesty, I don't even bother with this during breeding season because they are more interested in chewing a nest than anything else.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY