Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Using Dried Rose Bush as Perches/Treestand?

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

Using Dried Rose Bush as Perches/Treestand?

Postby CherryTiel » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:03 am

Is rose bush ok to use? I've shaved off every thorn and debarked one smaller piece. I think they're quite beautiful and it'd be shame if it isn't safe. :D
:greycockatiel: Cherry :greycockatiel: Cassidy
CherryTiel
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels
Flight: Yes

Re: Using Dried Rose Bush as Perches/Treestand?

Postby Pajarita » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:27 am

I have looked and looked and have not been able to find anything on rose bush wood! I know Rose of Sharon is toxic but it's not a real rose, and I know that the real roses are perfectly safe because they are edible from the bud to the hip but I could not find anything on the wood itself. Sorry about that. But, in any case, I would not use anything debarked with birds because peeling off the bark is one of the attractions that real branches hold for parrots although my cockatiels loved to pluck leaves off. I would put branches with leaves on them and they would start by pulling all the leaves off one by one and, when there were no more leavews, they would trim the smaller branches starting at the ends :lol:
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Re: Using Dried Rose Bush as Perches/Treestand?

Postby CherryTiel » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:05 pm

I couldn't either! Thanks for the help though. I figuered that it'd be ok because, like you, I know roses aren't poisonous in the slightest! I did debark one piece but I planned to create it into a desktop tree stand! I'll post pictures at some point! :mrgreen:
:greycockatiel: Cherry :greycockatiel: Cassidy
CherryTiel
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY