Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Birds that dislike women/men?

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Birds that dislike women/men?

Postby hooligan » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:49 pm

A lot of what marie posted about is true with my bird, Scrubby.

My partner and I got her from a female breeder, so when she first came home, we would need to speak to her in high-pitched tones to encourage her. Otherwise, she would be shy. Since she came to live with us though (and we were able to use our normal speaking voices), she only ever interacts with men.

When women come over, they either are too afraid of Scrubby to touch her or they pull their finger away at the wrong moment, and Scrubby steps up into air. So, after being "faked out" too many times, in the past month we've seen her nip women on two occasions when she's never nipped before. Male guests are completely different though. She'll happily leave my shoulder to perch on someone she's never met as long as it's a guy.

We have a house guest right now who is female, and Scrubby nipped her even though she moved her finger in smoothly, confidently, and at a moderate speed. After observing Raquel (our friend) for a couple days, though, Scrubby became more comfortable and climbed up onto her shoulder.

Unfortunately, after being nipped, Raquel is suspicious of Scrubby planning an attack, so it'll be a while before they're friends :roll:
hooligan
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheeked Conure (Cinnamon Turquoise)
Flight: No

Postby Parrot Life » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:24 am

I think with most breeds this can be corrected with behavior modification, using positive reinforcements with treats, for example. Some birds were well socialized when they were young and therefore accept a wide range of different people. Others were left in a cage with only one person occasionally giving them attention.

Some of this behavior is also breed specific. Take my African Greys for example. My birds are captive bred but are only one generation removed from the wild. This breed is still relatively new as a companion pet in the U.S. and so there are inherent behavior issues SOMETIMES. My Grey's are very well socialized and so they accept men and women and do not exhibit as much of the "wild bonding behavior" you hear so much about with African Greys.
Paul
Professional Wildlife Photographer (www.PaulKomarek.com)
Congo African Grey breeder and researcher
Parrot Life
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: African Grey
Flight: Yes

Postby terri » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:47 pm

liz wrote:Rambo not only disliked men he would attack them. He still prefers women but will now tolerate men.

Is this how Rambo got his name? :D
terri
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: catalina macaw,RB2,LS2,Hawkhead,Congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,yellowstreaked lorry,yellowsided greencheek,Blue fnt amazon ,goffin2

Postby Meriaya21 » Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:06 pm

So i have actually really been curious about this for awhile now, I have a yellow fronted amazon Named Willy. He is very aggressive towards me ( unless i have food) However hes not aggressive to my husband. I got willy a year ago from my father since hes sick with cancer, dad gave him to me hoping we would bond. In the last year we have come so far, i can hold him, scrath his neck or even set him in my lap and hell just perch there, but its extremely obvious that he doesnt prefer my company. My husband has nothhing to do with willy yet Willy prefers him over me. Is it because he was raised by my father? Also we dont know if Willy is male or female, dad never got him sexed.. does that matter? :amazon:
Meriaya21
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: yellow fronted amazon
Flight: No

Postby Pajarita » Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:56 am

Hi, Meriaya and Willy, welcome to the forum. Some people believe that male parrots bond easier with women and that female parrots do it with men but, in my personal experience, this is not so. And, if you think about it, it really makes no sense because how would a parrot know how to differentiate human genders? There is nobody to teach them this when they are in the nest or being handfed by a human. Your Willy is, most likely, more comfortable with your husband because he lived with a man before. I have a female African Red Belly (Isis) that was raised by a man and she did not only prefer my husband from day one (who, like yours, had nothing to do with the birds) but likes all men - even complete strangers. She did not like me at all when she first came but, although she still prefers my husband, she has become my friend so don't give up on Willy, he will come around and love you just as much. And the fact that she preferred my husband has actually worked to everybody's advantage because she was the one that 'introduced' the love for parrots in my husband (it's very hard not to love a pretty bird that loves you to pieces).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby thama15 » Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:49 am

What is the best way to socialize a pet bird to avoid them developing negative associations with certain groups of people? please let me know, I know this is an old discussion but the answer to my question is very important I am appealing to the admin. Please approve my post, Thanks :swaying:
thama15
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2

Postby Pajarita » Thu Oct 12, 2023 10:41 am

Hi, Thama and birds, welcome to the forum. Now, unfortunately, there is not a good answer to your question because, first of all, the greatest majority of companion parrots will bond with one person and simply tolerate the others. Some species are easier than others but they all have their own idea of who they like and who they don't - they are like people and have their likes and dislikes. Parrots do not dislike 'groups' of people, they go by their own experiences so if a parrot is kept by, say, a woman and this woman was always good to them, they will prefer another woman over a man BUT this does not means that a man cannot win them over. Furthermore, generally speaking, they all will end up liking anybody that respects and loves them. It might take more or less time but it will always happen. Mind you, this does not 'work' for birds that were severely neglected or abused. I have a parrot (Zeus, male Yellow Nape Amazon) that was literally punched with a fist by his owner whenever he bit him which made him hate all humans (it took years but he is perfectly fine now). And I have another one (Sweetpea, male Senegal), that was neglected by a woman (she kept him in a cage for 11 years) and he, also, hated all humanity (Same thing, it took years but he is now fine). And them you have aviary parrots that don't really bond with humans but they also don't necessarily dislike them.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Previous

Return to General Parrot Care