Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

How can I know my 2 Lovebirds sex/gender

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

How can I know my 2 Lovebirds sex/gender

Postby fileonlineservice » Sat Jun 04, 2022 4:04 pm

I have new 2 love birds, one which is yellow the other is mainly green, but i am not sure about their sex/gender. here are their pictures:-

The main differences are :-

1) The yellow one has a dark blue spots above his/her beak, while the green has a lighter blue spot.
2) The green is larger in size, but i am not sure if both birds have the same age.

Can anyone advice if it is possible to know their sex?

Thanks
fileonlineservice
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: love birds
Flight: Yes

Re: How can I know my 2 Lovebirds sex/gender

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:04 am

Welcome to the forum! I am afraid that those are not lovebirds, they are Australian Budgerigars, aka budgies, aka parakeets. Which is lucky because you can visually sex budgies but you really cannot lovebirds (well, you can if it is a sex-linked mutation or if you have a male/female bonded pair during breeding season because males have different breeding behaviors from females and, generally, the female is bigger than the male). Now, with budgies, it depends on the age because the best indicator of gender is the color of the cere (the fleshy 'moustache' above the beak) but it changes when the bird goes from baby to juvenile. In healthy adults (and notice I say 'healthy') and in almost all mutations (albinos are different), the males will have a blue or lilac cere while females will have a flesh colored/pink or crusty brown cere (the last indicates the female is in breeding condition) BUT, when they are babies, the females will have a blue cere... sometimes you can tell because although the cere itself is blue, they also have a white ring around the nostrils but it depends on the mutation.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to General Parrot Care