Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Adding parrot to bonded pair’s avairy??

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Adding parrot to bonded pair’s avairy??

Postby Bonnie&Coco » Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:06 pm

Hi guys, newbie here!!

1st post. I have had my 2 parrots for 2 months and am learning so much. Loving these guys..

So they’re a bonded pair of 2 different breeds and opposite sexes.

The male is the smaller ringneck and the larger, mellower female is an Eclectus..

The age of both is unsure as they were rescues and no info available..

They are both fully grown I suspect..

Can I add a macaw chick at some stage??

Or if I add another mature female blue ringneck, could she bond to the male and breed??

If the answer to these questions are for me to research myself - that’s fair!! I understand…

I will b researching psychology and genetics ASAP!!

Thanks in advance,
Wes - Perth, Western Australia.
Bonnie&Coco
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: F Electus
M Indian Ringneck

Ages unknown.

Guessed 3-5y
Flight: No

Re: Adding parrot to bonded pair’s avairy??

Postby Pajarita » Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:22 am

Welcome to the forum and thank you for rescuing instead of buying a baby! Now, you can always add another bird or birds - and, with a pair that is already bonded, it's even easier because bonded pairs normally keep to themselves. But age is part of that equation because a baby or a juvenile will like the company of any other bird but it doesn't mean they are bonded so, first of all, you need to find out how old they are because whether they are or not changes everything but, if the IRN already has a distinct ring around his neck, then you know it's an adult - the ekkie is more iffy because they don't change plumage or beak color as they grow.

A macaw chick requires A LOT of work because they need to be handfed until they are 9 months old. The breeder will tell you that the bird is weaned but, in the wild, macaw offspring remain with their parents until they are about 4 years old and the parents supplement their food intake until they are 9 months old so make sure you are able to stay home 24/7 for the first 4 months and then make sure the birds will have somebody coming over at least once a day to check on the baby and spend a little time with it. Baby birds are like human babies, you can't leave them alone for a long time even when you know for a fact that they are safe because they stress out something terrible when they are alone. Being alone means danger to a baby bird and this is not something that we can do anything about because it's programmed into their genes.

As to getting an adult female IRN... well, yes, it could bond to the male and, eventually, try to procreate -which I hope you don't allow for many reasons, one of them being that breeding birds is much more complicated than people think. BUT, if the ekkie and the IRN are both adults and they have been together for a long time, most likely, the male will not pursue the new female. At least, not at the very beginning... as the years go by, he might, especially if you add more birds.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to General Parrot Care