Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Can I house a parrot alone temporarily?

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Can I house a parrot alone temporarily?

Postby Rats_are_cool » Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:20 am

I'm still in the research phase and don't own any parrots yet. I'm thinking of owning something small if I determine that I'm compatible and can afford parrots in the long run. I ultimately want to get two, but I don't think I can train two at the same time. So I was wondering if I could get one parrot and train it then get another after the essentials are trained to the original parrot(which could possibly take a few months).
Rats_are_cool
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: No

Re: Can I house a parrot alone temporarily?

Postby Pajarita » Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:42 am

Well, for one thing, you are not supposed to start training the bird until it's a juvenile so your idea is not going to work because, by the time the bird is responding consistently to the training, it will be already one year old or older.

I don't know what you call 'the essentials' of training but, if by this, you mean simple cohabiting needs like 'Step Up' and 'Step Down', no biting, etc. no training is necessary - all babies learn to do these on their own.

The main thing you need to remember is that, if you get a baby, you will need to be home all day long for the first 4 or 5 months because, in the wild, babies are never alone and that is the only way they grow up healthy, happy and well-adjusted. You also need to figure out what species of bird you want because training aviary species (most of the small species are aviary) is pretty much a waste of time as they all need companions of their own species to be happy and, once they get one, all the trick training goes out the window :lol: They will trust and love you and will be very happy to spend time in your company, kiss you, etc but they will not be interested at all in doing tricks for you unless you use hunger - which, of course, it's not an option.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby Tangerine_Cokatoo » Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:41 am

Sure you can! This is a good idea if you want very tame birds. One parrot is easier to tame and bond with than two at a time, so your bird will come to love you and become very loyal if kept singly for a little bit. After your bird is tame, you can consider getting another one. Just house them separately, even if they seem to like each other. This is especially important if they are the opposite sex, so the male won't start courting the female. What kind of parrot are you getting? Let us know how it goes!
Tangerine_Cokatoo
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 14
Types of Birds Owned: Citron Crested Cockatoo, Hyacinth Macaw, Budgie, Senegal Parrot, Lovebird, Pacific Parrotlet, Timneh African Grey, Jenday Conure, Cockatiel, Eclectus Parrot, White-bellied caique, Blue Fronted Amazon, White Crowned Pionus

Postby Pajarita » Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:29 am

Well, that is a very unkind advice... Out of curiosity, what is the reason you keep so many parrots? Are you a breeder? Because you are not a bird lover so there must be some personal benefit to yourself in owning them...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to General Parrot Care