Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Cockatiel eggs pipping questions

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Cockatiel eggs pipping questions

Postby Erickv96 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:13 pm

I currenting have 5 eggs incubating in a homemade incubator everything that is needed for the eggs have been met as all 5 have life.
Now the first egg has started pipping 28 hours ago . It still only has a small hole. I have tried to read and do research on the matter but not much is found.

I need to know now that the baby has a hole to breathe through does the temperature and humidity need to drop or stay the same in the incubator?

Should i move it out of the incubator during the pipping process?

also do they have enough food to stay alive for another 20 hours? And after they hatch does the 8-12 hours without feeding still apply after they have been pipping for so long?
Egg#2 has also started pipping but not broken through yet. Chirping is coming from both eggs.
Erickv96
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels
Flight: Yes

Re: Cockatiel eggs pipping questions

Postby Pajarita » Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:01 am

I am sorry but I cannot help you. I do not breed parrots. I bred canaries for many years very successfully but the eggs are always incubated by the hen. As a matter of fact, nobody really uses incubators for parrots any longer. People used to do it years and years ago but they stopped because they found that the babies never grow to normal adults (they were called 'incubator birds'). Parrots are super altricial and the babies need the parents not only to keep them warm and feed them much more often and much more efficiently than any human could ever do but also so they can learn from them. Incubator birds are not healthy and they do not develop normal neural paths in their brains.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to General Parrot Care