Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Plants as pest control

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Plants as pest control

Postby Pajarita » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:17 am

We all struggle finding natural, non-toxic ways of replacing chemical products and using safe plants is a great idea! I actually do this, myself - I use natural cedar mulch in my backyard to control fleas and ticks in the summer and dried eucalyptus and/or mint and/or basil under or behind sofas all year round.

https://www.onegreenplanet.org/lifestyl ... th-plants/
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Re: Plants as pest control

Postby HitsOlivs » Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:50 am

As far as I know, there are plants that release toxins that repel insects. But humans don't feel them. Garlic is one such plant. You may find this information helpful.
HitsOlivs
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: No

Postby madhossion » Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:19 am

Interesting approach, but I've found that natural solutions don't always cut it. I gave up on cedar mulch after a persistent flea issue. Opted for a reliable pest control service, and it's been hassle-free since. Sometimes, the chemical route seems unavoidable for certain problems.
madhossion
Parakeet

Postby janarbeth » Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:31 am

Totally feel you! Switched to cedar mulch, too, it works wonders for those summer pests. And your idea of dried eucalyptus, mint, and basil is genius!
janarbeth
Parakeet

Return to General Parrot Care