Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Navre and Friends in Boston

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Navre and Friends in Boston

Postby liz » Wed May 20, 2020 9:59 pm

The pantry moth traps work good.

I told my son I saw a pantry moth in his house. He was not worried about one little moth. I bought and put up a trap for him. He was amazed at how many were caught that he did not know he had.

I keep my seed in sealed container.

One time I got a bag with wevils in it. That bag I just threw out for the wild birds.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Postby Navre » Thu May 21, 2020 9:37 am

I got weevils once, too. That’s when I started freezing.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Thu May 21, 2020 10:07 am

I don't remember ever getting weevils but I am sure I have at some point in time... and, yes, if I found weevil larvae in the seed, I would have probably thrown it out, too. Having said that, I am sure that wild birds would have eaten them although, most likely, our pets would not.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Fri May 22, 2020 10:09 am

Wow. Equal parts of rice and barley into the rice cooker ends up being almost all barley! It just expands so much more.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Fri May 22, 2020 1:18 pm

Hmmmm… I think it might be more your perception than a big difference because both rice and barley grow to three times - meaning, one cup of raw rice or barley would end up being three cups of cooked. Millet, oats, wheat, kamut yield more, millet yielding the most with one cup of raw giving us four cups of cooked (but I never actually cook the millet all the way through so I usually end up with three cups for each one raw).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:22 pm

Hello everyone. What a crazy year it’s been. Food is still hard to find, as Whole Foods selection is still patchy.
Also, I can’t get ABBA 1600 anymore. They shipped me 1600-c, which I loaded with sunflower seeds.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:33 am

And tops pellets I used to buy for $19 are now $27. Crazy inflation going on.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:15 am

Hi, John! Great to hear from you! To tell you the truth, I think that the manufacturers are using the excuse of the distribution problem to raise prices just to 'fatten' profits. I am not paying much more for my gloop ingredients than before -same with nuts and seed mixes- but I don't know about pellets because I never buy them...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Previous

Return to General Parrot Care