Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Why do conures do the "conure strut"?

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Why do conures do the "conure strut"?

Postby hlasdf » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:01 pm

I'm assuming most conure-owners know what I mean, but if not, it's when they extend their neck, raise the feathers on just the back of their head, and move back-and-forth. Sunny usually does it when he meets someone new, sees his reflection, or is stimulated by certain noises like knocking on the table. Is it just him showing off to make a good first impression or something? Or do the reasons vary individually?
hlasdf
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
Flight: Yes

Re: Why do conures do the "conure strut"?

Postby LadySaphine » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:43 pm

Peanut does this only when she gets aggressive to a new person. Sometimes she flattens her feathers on her neck and head and stretches her head waaayyy up, but her belly feathers are still raised. It makes her look so silly, like she has a pot belly.

So, in my case, she does it aggressively.
Peanut - :gcc: Yellow-sided Green Cheeked Conure. Rest in peace, my Peanut.
PJ- :bluebudgie: Cobalt Budgie
Steve- Image Turquoise Lineolated Parakeet
LadySaphine
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Budgie, Turquoise Lineolated Parakeet, two button quail hens

Postby pennyandrocky » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:13 pm

penny :gcc: does it when he's being playful or aggressive.
pennyandmya
pennyandrocky
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: green cheek conure,ducorps cockatoo

Postby marie83 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:10 pm

Ollie does it before an aggressive attack. unfortunately he is usually much more subtle in his body language and goes straight for the kill if I'm not paying enough attention to pick up the signs lol.
He will also strut about sometimes at breeding season a couple of minutes before he starts getting frisky but I haven't yet managed to identify the difference between the two struts.
marie83
Cockatoo

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby hlasdf » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:21 pm

So from what I gather, the reasons do seem to vary individually! And yeah, Sunny does it aggressively too, haha. ;)
hlasdf
Conure

Postby paper_lantern » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:01 pm

Chubby does it when he is excited, like when I let him out first thing in the morning, if he gets his favorite treat, or when he sees his reflection. :)
"She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot." - Mark Twain
paper_lantern
Conure

Postby truste » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:28 pm

OMG I LOVE the conure strut. Roca struts VERY frequently. When I let her out, when I 'strut' at her, when I click my tongue, and sometimes for no apparent reason! For her, its linked to excitement.

Fizz doesn't strut out of excitement, but he does something very similar when he's feeling aggressive. Same puffing out of neck feathers and back and forth movement, but instead of quickly jerking his head (sorry, hard to describe the strut, but you guys know what I'm talking about) he kind of sways slowly like a charmed snake. Sometimes he also writhes around to the point where he half rolls over. It's very different from Roca's excited strut, but similar in some ways.

Fizz has also taken to tryng to mimic Roca's strut: he'll bob his head up and down when she's strutting, but he lacks the passion lol! It's pretty darn cute, but not the same.
truste
Parrotlet

Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conures

Postby LadySaphine » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:38 pm

truste wrote:Fizz doesn't strut out of excitement, but he does something very similar when he's feeling aggressive. Same puffing out of neck feathers and back and forth movement, but instead of quickly jerking his head (sorry, hard to describe the strut, but you guys know what I'm talking about) he kind of sways slowly like a charmed snake. .

Peanut does this as well, especially the 'charmed snake'. She does it out of aggression, she doesn't like my brother or the mouse. Sometimes she does a quick bob of the head, but I don't think it's aggressive.
Peanut - :gcc: Yellow-sided Green Cheeked Conure. Rest in peace, my Peanut.
PJ- :bluebudgie: Cobalt Budgie
Steve- Image Turquoise Lineolated Parakeet
LadySaphine
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Budgie, Turquoise Lineolated Parakeet, two button quail hens

Postby Sean » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:26 pm

Einstein, my green cheek conure :gcc: does this when he is about to fly or wants attention
Sean
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Green cheek conure

Postby Chowe2023 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:29 pm

I know this post is old but are all your GCC DNA tested? Do both Male and Female strut? I've only seen my males do it, but I have a new bird that I am waiting on DNA testing on. He / she just did the strut so is this a clue?
Chowe2023
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 11
Types of Birds Owned: Budgie, Cockatiel, Green Cheeck Conure, African Grey

Next

Return to General Parrot Care