Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rainbow, Myrtle & Cockatiels

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Rambo &Myrtle update

Postby liz » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:09 pm

Tammy still has the twitch.
The black cat is a killer and I try to watch her close. Rachel rehomed the other black cat because I did not trust her while I was watching her.
I don't trust Rambo when the cockatiels are out. He can't fly and if one lands near him he will bite. I close him out of the sunroom when they are loose. I close Myrtle out because I don't trust Rambo. Myrtle seems to like them. She hangs on the side of the cage and talks to them. Heck she talks to anything especially her favorites Squeekie cat and Jasmine dog but also talks to the other.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Postby Harpmaker » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:36 am

I have a dog that carries eggs in her mouth without harming them(She saw me hiding Easter eggs one year and proudly found them and put them back at the spot I had stashed them. ) She once caught one of my budgies that escaped during its first transfer from the pet store box to its cage, and another time caught one of the wild birds the cats brought in. Both birds recovered. She placed her body between a cat and Corsair before Corsair's wings grew out. But I don't know what she would do if Corsair bit her(which Corsair tries to do), and I worry about any small bird finding itself in a dog's mouth and having a massive stress reaction.

Cats are hardwired to catch small birds and small animals. It's why they were originally allowed to stay with people. The sound of a bird's wings wakes my cats from sleep and they are moving before they think, and long before I could stop them.

Segregation is the only safe course.
Harpmaker
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Meyer's Parrot

Postby liz » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:55 am

This past summer I was putting all my birds out for fresh air and sunshine in the best part of the day. When I went to hang Tweetle on a plant hanger the bottom fell out of his cage. He flew down and Sqeakie the cat got him. When I caught up she was laying down and had her front legs crossed over him to pin him until I got there. As a kitten she used to catch birds but learned that I did not want her to so for the last 5 years she has been bringing me moles as a gift.

My dad had a male Airdale dog. The dog only listened to my dad and Rachel who was 4. She came in the house crying that Lucky had a bunny. He was playing with a bald blind baby but had not hurt it. It was covered in slobber and he would not let me have it until I tackled him. He then thought that Rachel wanted bunnies so he kept bringing them to her. Rachel had to tell him no more. 8 bald blind baby bunnies when he was done. I did not know about cat and dog milk replacer at that time. I made a soup of everything the momma would eat and fed them the liquid with a dropper. 7 survived.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby liz » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:27 pm

Thank you Marie. But I am catching myself leaving things unfinished. I really need someone to go behind me and check things every once in a while.

My daughter, Rachel, took a job where she travels for a week at a time and is usually home one day before she leaves again. She rehomed quite a few of her critters (Tommy and Tammy she rehomed to me), but I still care for Dogs-Riddick-Raimi, Cats-ZaZa-Evelette, the Titans-Jake-Haley of hers.

My aunt must be the laziest woman in the world. She will whine and complain for hours for me to bring her something that she is quite capable of getting herself. She does nothing to help me keep things going. I left a burner on one time and she found it. She now always checks when I finish cooking. To make her help me check on things, I told her I left the sunroom door unlocked. She has to walk by the cages to check the back door. I have not left anything undone in that area since but hope her double checking will help.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby liz » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:56 pm

I needed to get Phoenix and Flutter out of their small cages but did not want to put Phoenix in the flock yet. I separated the big cages and put Maggie and Lola together with them. They seem to enjoy each others company. When Phoenix gets his feathers back I will put them back together.

I really think I need a female Lutino to settle the problem with Shadow, Tommy and Tammy.

I stressed so much over the years that Myrtle would not let me touch her head. All she had to do is come in season. She wants head scratches all the time now. When I don't scratch her head she tucks it behind my neck. I can't believe she has become so much more cuddly.

Right now the cockatiels are down for the night but Myrtle is on my shoulder and Rambo is on the arm of my chair. Rachel has been gone for two weeks this time. He ignores me when she is home but attaches to me as soon as she leaves.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:31 pm

Liz, be careful about keeping a male amazon at a human light schedule. They can be VERY aggressive when overly hormonal and these are large, powerful, fearless birds. My Pedro sent his previous owner three times to the emergency room in two years but he is fine now, he never attacks me and I am now able to clean the cage, feed and water without a problem... sometimes he even leaves the cage and goes around to the side all on its own whereas, before, he would be right there at the door with is beak wide open and waiting for my hand :lol:
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:36 pm

I use the bird light from 10 am to 5:30 or 6 pm. By that time of the e evening I have the boxers settled down, give the house dogs their treats and give the cats another can of food (Fancy can't eat dry food). I usually have supper ready by then and then all but a lamp and TV are on.
These two are not aggressive when in season. They become more cuddly. I did not think Myrtle could get anymore cuddly. She has been wanting to sleep with me and the others but has settled for the shower curtain rod. The bathroom is the closest room to my bedroom and I visit her 3 times a night. It is really weird using the bathroom in the dark to keep from waking a bird.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:30 pm

Liz, they are young now but they will get older. It's entirely your decision but, if I were you, I would start putting them on a solar schedule before something happens.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:36 pm

Short of caging them I don't know how else to do it. I cannot cage two kids.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:35 pm

Why not? All you would have to do is get them two sleeping cages, put them in the sun room with the tiels and, halfway through the sunset turn off the lights, serve them their dinner and put them in the cages for the night. My birds don't mind at all going into their cages for their dinner and roosting through the night, the ones that are downstairs and have cages do it on their own and call for me to bring their dinner when the sun starts to go down :D
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care