Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rainbow, Myrtle & Cockatiels

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Rambo &Myrtle update

Postby terri » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:46 pm

Very cool :D Amazons sound super smart.Only household I know of where theres parrot conversations going on :D
terri
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: catalina macaw,RB2,LS2,Hawkhead,Congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,yellowstreaked lorry,yellowsided greencheek,Blue fnt amazon ,goffin2
Flight: Yes

Postby liz » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:13 pm

Rambo is still taking his bath with the water that runs off the shower curtain. Myrtle was watching each time from the top of the curtain. I grabbed her and put her on the perch. That was short lived and I thought I would never get her back in. Surprise to me, my green clown came back and held onto the shower head then turned upside down on the perch. Her belly was soaked but not the rest. After my shower she enjoyed being misted while on the curtain rod. This has worked four times now and I think she in beginning to enjoy our showers. It is a little difficult to get shampoo out of my hair with Myrtle hanging on the shower head.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Lizz » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:00 pm

I don't know how to change the thread name but instead of messing up other threads I will just add
:greycockatiel: :greycockatiel: :greycockatiel: :greycockatiel: Shadow Tammy Tommy Maggie
:swaying: Tweetle Dee to this one.

I am really ashamed of Shadow. I was sorry for him when Sweetie died but now I am just ashamed of him. He stole Tammy from Tommy with no consideration for Tommy's feelings. Tommy stays alone in the far side of the cage. Of course that leaves Maggie still alone.

What is going on except adultery? Has anyone ever heard of such a thing?
Lizz
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 8
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Tommy Maggie Cagney Lacy

Postby Pajarita » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:14 am

People talk about birds grieving until they are sick and even death when their mates die but, in my personal experience, they are VERY pragmatic when they are healthy and have a choice of another mate. I feel sorry for Tommy but the 'best man' won and, in truth, it wasn't all Shadow's doing because, ultimately, it's always the hen that chooses so if Tammy 'hooked up' with him, it was because she liked him best. Shame that he doesn't like Maggie but maybe he will next breeding season.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Lizz » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:19 pm

What is really bad is that my 'Tiels like sex all year round. Tommy has to watch that and listen to Shadow sing when he is done.

I have been searching for other teils that need a home. I see them listed on ebay and craigslist but no one ever answers. They must be old posts. The only bird shelter I can find with them are in VA. I don't mind the drive but they want me to take classes and visit the birds 3 times before they can come home.
Lizz
Conure

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:25 pm

If your tiels are having sex all year round, they are also producing sexual hormones all year round and that's not good, Liz. You need to put them on a solar schedule with full exposure to dawn and dusk.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Lizz » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:20 pm

They are in a sun room. Dawn to dusk but sometimes I hear them messing around in the dark. Do I need to start separating them at night. Cockatiel separation is very noisy.
Lizz
Conure

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Wolf » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:48 pm

If the light come through glass then the UV light that they need are being filtered out, and in this case you need to consider a full spectrum light with a CRI of 94+ and a K Temp range of 5000 to 5500. The other factor that we can control that affects their hormone levels is their diet which needs to be a low protein diet.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:25 am

Yep, diet plays a huge part in all the opportunistic breeders and tiels are one of the species that you have to watch. No boxes, no hutches and no baths more often than once every two weeks. Also, check to see if any light from outside shines through the windows because the smallest and dimmest sliver make a difference to them.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Lizz » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:28 am

My daughter comes home on weekends. I will look for one then.
Thank you.

By the way I am beginning to think that Tammy is a hussy. She was sitting beside Tommy to get her head preened the last time I looked.
Lizz
Conure

BF Amazon Myrtle

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care