Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Senegal's first molt

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Senegal's first molt

Postby ashclayy » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:50 pm

Hello!

I recently purchased a baby Senegal parrot a couple of months ago. She is just shy of 5 months and has been looking rather ratty lately. She has not molted much other than down (lot's of it), but she's looking like she could start a true molt any day. She's extremely healthy, recently vet checked and I check her weight every other day.
Just shy of 5 months seems a bit early to me for a first molt to begin. From a google search, I'm seeing 8+ months of age for a molt. Is this normal?
ashclayy
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Flight: No

Re: Senegal's first molt

Postby Pajarita » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:24 am

Hi, Ash and sennie! You did not tell us her name -not that it makes any difference for the reply to the question, it's only that we like to know because we are nosy and love all birds :D

A baby bird does not have a full molt until it's second year of life. The first molt is called the 'juvenile molt' and it's not a full one, it's a partial one because they only molt contour feathers [rarely down and never any primary, secondary or therciary feathers]. As to when it's supposed to happen... well, that depends on when it was born [whether on or off season], what it was fed [soy or no soy] and whether it was kept at a strict solar schedule or not.

Now, at almost five months of age, that means she must have been born in May so, although they are actually more short day than long day breeders, May is not that bad IF the birds are not being bred all year round [which breeders tend to do]. I assume that the breeder fed it a soy-based formula and that you have been weaning it with soft foods that don't contain any soy as well as keeping it to a strict solar schedule with full exposure to dawn and dusk so, if this is the case, she could be having her juvenile molt around now. My senegals are all done with the molt but they are adults, they have been kept at a super strict solar schedule and have not had any soy for many years so they are perfectly in tune with the seasons - with babies, it's never that accurate because of breeders bad practices. But, in any case, loosing a lot of down or looking ratty is not a normal thing so do review your husbandry [diet and light schedule, primarily] and keep an eye on her, just in case.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby ashclayy » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:56 pm

Hi!

Thank you for your reply!!! My baby's name is Jayde! Everything that you have assumed is correct! I have finally found a pin feather on her neck to confirm she is going through a juvenile molt! Her baby green feathers are slowly being replace with grey on her head/neck. So that answers that!

I'm anti clip, and was a bit upset to see that the aviary I purchased her from had clipped her without informing me :roll: so I'm a bit sad that we shouldn't be expecting new flight feathers too soon.

But thank you for your reply!!! You'll be seeing me around these part, I'm sure :thumbsup:
ashclayy
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Flight: No

Postby Pajarita » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:31 am

Glad I could help and, please, do not hesitate to post again - even if it's just to let us know how you and little Jayde is doing... we love all birds, not only our own.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby colleaguedare » Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:01 am

You're very welcome for the response! Jayde is my daughter's name. You are accurate in all your assumptions. I was able to identify she was through a juvenile molt after discovering a pin feather on the back of her neck. The green feathers on her head and neck are beginning to turn grey. And with that, the question is resolved!

super mario bros
colleaguedare
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0

Postby charliejone » Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:30 pm

Yes, it is normal for a baby Senegal parrot to start its first molt around 5 months of age. While the average age for a molt is typically around 8 months,build now gg the timing can vary from bird to bird.
charliejone
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Parrot

Return to General Parrot Care