Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Insulin possible intake

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Insulin possible intake

Postby Boca » Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:53 am

I house a 3.5yr old blue/gold guacamaya where I found just now a pen syringe originally used for treating my Insulin Dependant Diabetes, the insulin is named Insuman Comb 25 and the pen was totally damaged thus no insulin within , I have no idea where she got this from and despite my initial concerns I have decided to ask here if and what the risks could be as obviously for myself I am feeling somewhat uneasy if this guacamaya has digested the insulin although if this pen syringe had insulin within it may have all escaped upon breakage of the plastic pen, could I put it to your membership please
Boca
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Guacamaya blue/gold
Flight: No

Re: Insulin possible intake

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:51 am

Welcome to the forum, Boca and B&G. I would not worry about it. For one thing, if the bird chew on the plastic syringe, most of the insulin would have dripped out as he made holes in it but, even if a small amount of it got swallowed, it won't have that much effect on him. Birds have glucose levels three times higher than mammals and, although they can get diabetes, the treatment is not insulin as their high sugar levels are caused by low insulin production but by high glucagon production. Just watch him and give him a lot of wet food with high sugar content like oranges, pomegranates, mangoes, cherries, etc. The high sugar will 'use up' the insulin.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to General Parrot Care