Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

My parrot regurgitates for me.

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

My parrot regurgitates for me.

Postby CharlieAfricanGrey » Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:49 pm

Hello,

I have recently (2 weeks ago) adopted an African Grey. He was my wife's nans however she is no longer able to take care of him. He is roughly 26 years old and has received no training at all. However he is very tame.

When ever I show him any attention, this could even be saying hello to him while he's in the cage. He will start to regurgitate his food for me. He carries on for about 10-15 minutes then he will go in mood and not let anyone bear him for about half an hour.

I am looking for some advice on how to stop him doing this.
CharlieAfricanGrey
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: African Grey Parrot
Flight: Yes

Re: My parrot regurgitates for me.

Postby Pajarita » Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:24 am

Hi, Charlie and human welcome to the forum! He is overly hormonal. This time of the yea, in the Northen Hemisphere, Greys ae hormonal because they ae short--day breeders but lone bids only regurgitate when they are overly-hormonal - meaning not 'normal' hormonal. Normal hormonal is when the bird is in breeding condition after being 'resting' (the non-breeding season is called the 'resting' season because it allows their bodies to 'rest' - meaning it does NOT produce sexual hormones). When a bird is fed too much protein (as when you free-feed seeds, nuts, pellets, etc) and kept at a human light schedule instead of a 'birds' light schedule (one that follows the seasons through the different number of hours of light during the day), it will produce sexual hormones all the time -something that never happens in nature and causes their endocrine system to go haywire. it also causes them constant discomfort and even chronic pain (because they are all swollen inside).

The solution is to put him on a good diet (I feed my grays gloop and raw produce in the am and nuts in the pm (they also get vitamins 3 times a week) and to keep him at a strict solar schedule (no artificial lights until the sun is completely out in the am and, in the pm, no artificial lights on after the sun is halfway down to the horizon). To give you an idea, I turn on the lights around 8:30 am and off at 2:45 pm - I feed breakfast when I turn the lights on (I let them out of their cages when light starts to show in the sky -around 7:15 am- and dinner about 3:15 pm).

Please, re-evaluate his light schedule and diet because, at his age, he must be in a lot of pain (the longer they are fed and lighted wrong, the more they suffer... older overly-hormonal male birds have peed blood).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to General Parrot Care