Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Postby Curious Diode » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:27 pm

This post has been overwritten by an open source script.
Last edited by Curious Diode on Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Curious Diode
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: No

Re: Green cheek gets very aggressive when I pick up a tissue

Postby Wolf » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:16 pm

Generally this is something that I have come to expect from my parrotlets although I haven't got a clue as to why they act this way and with parrotlets this behavior appears to be pretty much species wide. This in a GCC is an individual personality trait and is not all that common as far as I am aware of. If your GCC has been toweled and it was poorly done this could be related to that experience. The actual behaviors that you describe are almost exactly how my Grey reacts to a remote control or a phone. She may have had a bad experience with a remote or a phone and as a result hates them, but I don't know about this for certain.
I can only guess and speculate as to what would cause this behavior in your GCC, but I really have no answers.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby Navre » Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:07 am

My GCC has recently started doing the same thing. It's a species-wide conspiracy.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Chantilly » Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:04 am

Tilly does it when on someone with the electric toothbrush, and she sometimes does it with the tissue.... weird little things they are!
And anthough she be little, she is fierce ~Shakespeare
- Tilly & Shrek
Chantilly
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Cinnamon green cheek conure & Yellow Scaly x Rainbow lorikeet, Chickens & Ducks

Postby GreenWing » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:59 am

Navre wrote:My GCC has recently started doing the same thing. It's a species-wide conspiracy.

Rotfl :D

My Grey gets scared at strange things. They get phobic like we do. Are you scared of spiders? Well the bird probably isn't, and would be scared of some strange white thing, like, "what the heck is that!?"

Chance is freaked by stuffed animals. I don't even think of bringing them around her.
GreenWing
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey ♥

Postby Pajarita » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:13 pm

I don't think it's a GCC thing... at least mine doesn't do it. Codee doesn't seem to be scared or aggressive toward anything or anybody, actually. She even shares me with Isis Redbelly now. They've always been out at the same time but while Codee rode my shoulder while I do my early morning chores, Isis followed me up and down the stairs flying and perching in favorite spots and asking for Picapica (head scritches) every now and then. But, last week or so, Isis started flying over to me to perch on my head and, after a couple of days, she went down to my left shoulder. Codee has always ridden my right shoulder but, at the beginning, I was on high alert for fights and bites or hard nips from either of them but Codee simply went down a bit on my chest to look at her and I guess she decided it was OK because I now do my chores with both of them. And my chores mean feeding dogs and cats, cleaning litter boxes, making the bed, putting away stuff, washing dishes, preparing the produce for the birds, doing the canaries and downstairs parrots cages, etc so it's not as if I don't move my hands or don't grab anything with them but she has never reacted to any of my movements. The only thing she does is, every now and then, when I wash dishes, she goes down my arm for a nice bath under the running faucet.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby marie83 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:44 am

Mine does it too, never from across the room though. It is something he has always done but he is fine if I blow my nose. I cant let him have foot toys either because that too sends him into a frenzy. I think he just gets over stimulated and excited and thinks tissues are the same since I used to let him chew clean ones up.
marie83
Cockatoo

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby shiraartain » Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:46 pm

I think rather than trauma, it's more of a protection thing. Fajr will bite your ear if he's on your shoulder and you pick up the house phone. He seems to regard it as a danger. Or maybe he thinks we're idiots for trying to feed ourselves through our ears :P.

I think with time, the reaction to the tissue should fade. Otherwise, perhaps just use a rag?
shiraartain
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure, Quaker, Ringneck

Postby patti » Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:21 pm

Lily, my Jenday, went through a phase when she did that too. Exactly as you described: Sweet as pie, full of coos and "nice bites" then I get out a tissue and she turned into birdicula.

She hasn't done that in a long time, though. Now she reserves her ire for a small stuffed elephant and the vacuum cleaner.

The first time it happened with the vacuum I had just finished. She had been watching me calmly from across the room until I started winding the cord back up. At that moment she flew over and took a huge chunk out of my hand. It surprised me but when I looked at it from her perspective it made sense. My whole upper body was bobbing up and down while I wound the cord, and so I think she thought I was leaving her for the loud, scary vaccum cleaner. Awful.

Now we vacuum together and I talk her through every step, and if I do that she won't bite me even though she still gets a little scared of it.

So if I had to venture a guess, I think she does it because she is jealous. Who would be jealous of the vacuum cleaner, you ask? Lily. Lily would.
patti
Cockatiel

Types of Birds Owned: Jenday Conure, Blue Crown Conure

Return to General Parrot Care