Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Budgie on Hamster Wheel

Exchange information about how to teach specific tricks to parrots. Most of these techniques should apply to all bird species. Share your success stories.

Budgie on Hamster Wheel

Postby Bananaboohoo » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:52 pm

Is it safe to give my boys a hamster wheel to play on? I'd get the largest size available. :swaying:
Bananaboohoo
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Budgies
Flight: Yes

Re: Budgie on Hamster Wheel

Postby Pajarita » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:06 am

Well, I doubt they will use it and, if you put in the cage, it would get covered in poop in no time at all. Plus, I do not know if they are really that safe for birds (they might get a claw or a foot stuck in it). If you are looking for entertainment for them, give them a large piece of dry yucca like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Wesco-Pet-Bird-K ... 138&sr=8-7

They will chew a hole that will go all the way through in each 'round window'. They LOVE it!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby janarbeth » Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:36 pm

Hamster wheels are designed specifically for hamsters and their body size and shape, which means they may not be suitable for other animals like budgies. Try checking out other websites and blogs.
janarbeth
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: No

Postby madhossion » Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:41 pm

Hi there! While seeing a budgie running on a hamster wheel might be entertaining, it's not recommended. Hamster wheels are designed for the smaller bodies and weight of hamsters and might not support a budgie's weight. Additionally, budgies have a different anatomy than hamsters, and their feet and toes could get stuck in the wheel or injured. Instead, you could look into getting a bird-safe toy or perch for your budgies to play with. Check out https://pocketpetcentral.com for more tips on keeping your pets happy and safe!
madhossion
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: No

Return to Parrot Trick Training