Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Lost African Grey--Flew Away---Stupid, Stupid Mistake

Discuss indoor freeflight and managing freeflighted birds around the house. How to live with a flighted parrot.

Re: Lost African Grey--Flew Away---Stupid, Stupid Mistake

Postby Pajarita » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:55 am

We get it from scientific studies. It's a fact that birds need flight in order for their respiratory system to be utilized as Nature intended (posterior air sacs -zoology- and studies that show that muscle utilization is at less than 10% even when flapping and climbing -biology), it's a fact that when you deprive a bird of flight you are, in fact, taking away the only predator-avoidance mechanism in a prey animal with the unavoidable chronic stress this produces (basic ethology), it's a fact that baby animals that are not allowed to develop their motor skills suffer from a decrease in mental development (myriad studies on humans and other animals).

But, in truth, I did not clip even before I became aware of all these studies because, in my mind, handicapping an animal so severely just so we can keep it for our entertainment has always smack me big time of being self-centered and cruel (they used to do something similar to slaves that used to run away -it was called hobbling, same as what they do to horses).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby Victor » Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:23 pm

Hmm I'll have to look into it more. But I have my own reasons for not bothering with it. In the 80s mom believed in it. I will put the long story in a nut shell. We took Bo the cockatiel. In for his wing clipping as he had started to fly again. They took him into the back room to do it. I did hear him. But mom told me he was ok. And was just acting up like the chickens do. When we clip them. But it was far from ok . When we got him home and opened the box. He was a bloody mess. I don't understand why he didn't bleed out. But that was more then we needed to never clip again.
Victor
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: African gray and Cockatiel.

Postby Wolf » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:13 pm

Well Victor, you appear to either be a bit confused. You probably are not but I say this because you were expressing doubt as to why we choose to not clip our birds and in your most recent post you are telling us that you don't clip birds either.
I do not clip my birds wings as I believe it to be detrimental to the birds physical and mental/ emotional wellbeing. Rather than my discussing my reasons for this decision on my part, I would prefer to encourage that you research this on your own first.
I do know from your brief story that whomever it was that clipped the cockatiel in the story had no business touching a bird to clip them. I don't know what happened in that case but something went horribly wrong and that could only have been due to human ignorance and/ or lack of caring.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Victor » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:51 pm

Not at all. I just don't see anything that makes it worth clipping . Starting with most I know that clip. Only find out they need to when the bird flys . And ending with . And how many times have you herd this one? My bird got out and flue away. With clipped wings. Things like this make it hard to see any point in clipping. But I don't see any harm in the practice. Short of Bo birds story. It's true if he wasn't clipped in the first place. But if the one doing the clipping cared at all. It wouldn't of ben as bad. Even if they did make a mistake. In short I don't clip. But I have nothing bad to say about it ether. We will see what I think after I research the topic more.
Victor
Lovebird

Postby liz » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:09 pm

Rambo has always walked to the front door to greet whoever visited. Myrtle rides on my shoulder. One day the wind caught the door and Myrtle was sucked off and out into the yard. She was able to fight the wind because she could fly and managed to grab a twig on the top of my neighbors tree.

My daughter used to take Rambo outside on her shoulder. One day a gust of wind caught him and he flapped enough that he went 3 houses down before she caught up. I was driving to the store when I saw a bright yellow head go by. I thought someone lost their bird so I pulled into that driveway to rescue it. Was I surprised that he was mine.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Victor » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:53 pm

Am so glad you got your bird back. And before you know it was out. That no dout saved you a lot of hart ack.
Victor
Lovebird

Postby Victor » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:06 pm

Wow 9 birds. And some loud ones in the mix. Am not just talking about the BF and DYH. As my cockatiel yells much more then both the grays. (TAG)
Victor
Lovebird

Postby Wolf » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:53 pm

Victor;
Thank you for answering my reply as I couldn't figure out what it was that you were trying to share and now thanks to your response, I understand. I will be looking forward to your posting after you have done more research into this.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:06 am

Yes, indeed, please do some research on it but don't go to birdsites for it, go to scientific sources.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Victor » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:01 pm

Ok a have looked around and was unable to find anything that talked about cons to clipping. Just the back and forth. Why to clip and why not to clip. But this is from a safety point of view. Not the Health of the bird. So any links you mite have. That talks about how flying helps health. I will be happy to look at. They must be out there. But I did not find any. All I found was a clipped bird will not fly into a fan or out a open window/ into a window. Ok that's true. But if a bird flys into a fan that is not on. It will not be harmed and a bird cannot fly out a window that is not open and if the blinds are closed it shouldn't fly into it ether. Come on people let's think safety for birds rather then clip them for safety.
Victor
Lovebird

PreviousNext

Return to Indoor Freeflight