Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Flying

Discuss indoor freeflight and managing freeflighted birds around the house. How to live with a flighted parrot.

Flying

Postby Komodeno » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:06 am

I start training my Macaw for re-call and run in to a small problem. He is not clipped and he fly's well around the room. He is target trained and doing well. Now I start asking him to follow the target from one perch to another but if the distance is a bit bigger and he cant grab the perch with his beak he would not cross and for sure he refuse to fly.
I use the same technique with my gray and worked very well. He is now flying from one perch to another (I use the back of two bar chairs for perches). He can do it across the room and I'm increasing the distance step by step.
Now how to make the macaw fly to the target? I can see he is not ready to take off from the perch.
Please advise what to do.
With the same method my G2 is already coming to my hand. I can say he learn very fast and no he even goes back to the back of the chair from my hand if I tell him " Perch"
Last edited by Komodeno on Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Komodeno
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: African Gray
Macaw
Goffin Cockatoo
Flight: Yes

Re: Flaying

Postby Polarn » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:10 am

my amazon gets into a weird situation if two perches are too close or my hand is too close to where he is sitting, I dont know if he isnt comftible taking off and landing in such short space, but I have to be at atleast 3' or 1m away for him to recall and even then he is doubting, if im further away he just leaps off and comes to me. Don't know if you have the same problem, or if you have tried to increase the recall distance so that your macaw feels s/he can easily jump off take flight, plan the landing and land.
Polarn
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Greenwing macaw
Flight: Yes

Return to Indoor Freeflight