Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Is it better for parrot to fly inside?

Discuss indoor freeflight and managing freeflighted birds around the house. How to live with a flighted parrot.

Is it better for the parrot to not be clipped and fly?

Yes
85%
No
15%

Total votes : 40

Re: Is it better for parrot to fly inside?

Postby TheNzJessie » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:46 am

yes michael i find unclipped birds a lot more confident also. i find clipped birds very unconfortable with 'normal' bird surroundings like they 'cant' do that my rainbow lorikeet i have now is my first bird that i have had who has never been clipped when i brought him and i noticed huge differences from him to my lorikeet i had a few years ago who was clipped. i find them more confident in stepping up and 'doing stuff for them selfs' than 'help me do this and help me do that' he loved playing with me but he also like able to be independent and work things out for himself which i found my clipped lorikeet (when i got him) would not attempt.
Qwil-:budgie:
Jango-:rainbow:
Jessie-ME
:)
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow lorikeet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby TheNzJessie » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:50 am

pchela i completely agree with you people should not have animals. me doing my animal management captive wild animals course at university to become a zoo keeper im specializing in birds and big cats. and people always ask me what do you think is better zoos or the wild and my response is. ultimately the wild but there is not enough wild left because of human destruction in order to keep these animals alive we have to incorporate them into our lives.

and sorry michael i just double posted didn't relise SORRY habit i will have to break......
Jessie-ME
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Budgie

Postby Michael » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:53 am

TheNzJessie wrote:i find them more confident in stepping up and 'doing stuff for them selfs' than 'help me do this and help me do that' he loved playing with me but he also like able to be independent and work things out for himself which i found my clipped lorikeet (when i got him) would not attempt.

Yes but then some people (you know who you are!) don't want this! They want the parrot to be needy and depend on them for everything because they feel it would be too had to gain their birds trust if it actually could choose for itself to be with them or not.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby TheNzJessie » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:31 am

exactly
Jessie-ME
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Budgie

Postby Athena&beepbeep'smom » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:52 am

I agree that it can be a hard line to draw. Yes parrots are supposed to fly, but they're also supposed to live in the wilds of South America and Africa, mate, raise young, make autonomous decisions about diet and activities etc. None of our parrots get to do all of that. That's true. Maybe it's true that none of us have a right to own them at all. Maybe its good that responsible parrot owners do have parrots because our parrots are safer than the ones left to their own devices in the natural habitats that we're destroying. That's really a different argument. Here's what it comes down to to me.

I decided to get a parrot even though it's more than just having another type of pet. No one forced me to get one. I own a basically wild, complex, intelligent animal of my own free will. It is therefore my responsibility to do everything reasonably in my power to provide for her needs and mimic what she would receive in the wild. Can she choose all her own food? No, but it's my responsiblity to offer food that meets her needs and offer her a variety so that she can make some of her own choices. Can she live with her flock? No, but it's my responsibility to put aside my desires and social needs to be her flock and help her socialize. Does she live in a cage and not the South America? Yes, but it's my responsibility to provide as large a cage as possible and take her out of that cage and even out of the house whenever possible. Similarly, with flight it is necessary to keep her safe so I can't let her fly free outside, but I can bird proof my house and be vigilant and use a set list of procedures to ensure her safe indoor free flight. Since it is possible to do it, I must do it. It would be easier not to, sure. But it would be easier to have a cat too. It is possible to keep your bird safe and allow free flight. I've had birds off and on my whole life and have never had so much as a close call. It can be done, so it must be done. They can't breath right, or respond to threats right, or exercise their muscles right without it. And if you can't work with, bond with, or train a bird that's flighted, only one that's totally dependent on you, then it may be time to do more research about training and taming methods, not start clipping feathers.
Athena&beepbeep'smom
Lovebird

Types of Birds Owned: White Capped Pionus, Pacific Parrotlet

Postby TheNzJessie » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:38 pm

fantastic points. its exactly what i mean
Jessie-ME
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Budgie

Postby a.susz » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:43 pm

i voted yes they should fly, but my parrots are clipped for now. i like to bring my bronze wing and red belly to work with me so they can get some outside human interaction, its very good for them and they now step up willingly to pretty much anyone. while at work our doors are constantly opening and we have huge glass windows that are floor to ceiling, so 100% of the time that a flighted bird gets away from their owner, they hit the window. off topic, but it happens.

my senegal on the other hand is very bitey, and has jumped off of his cage and off of me in order to try to bite people so i will continue to clip him for the safety of others until me and my boyfriend have our own place and we can control the environment ie when doors and windows get opened.

so i clip so i can bring my birds to work, and my senegal is just plain evil towards anyone with the exception of me and my boyfriend. :lol:
-Annaleza- and--
Peanut , the sennie
Baby, the red belly
Odin, the bronze wing pi
Loki, the bronze wing pi our new addition :)
http://www.annaleza.blogspot.com
a.susz
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal, Red Belly, Bronze Wing Pionus x2

Postby el-parrot » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:03 pm

sorry... my birds are clipped. Of course it would be great to see them fly, but there are also many reasons why I prefer that there wings are clipped. It is always the question, to clip or not to clip LOL
el-parrot
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 8
Types of Birds Owned: budgie, lovebird, senegal parrot, quaker parrot, congo african grey parrot
Flight: No

Postby Michael » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:05 pm

No! Actually the question should be to own a bird or not.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby el-parrot » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:14 pm

Michael wrote:No! Actually the question should be to own a bird or not.

You're right!
el-parrot
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 8
Types of Birds Owned: budgie, lovebird, senegal parrot, quaker parrot, congo african grey parrot
Flight: No

Previous

Return to Indoor Freeflight