Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

How much time does your flighted bird spend flying?

Discuss indoor freeflight and managing freeflighted birds around the house. How to live with a flighted parrot.

Re: How much time does your flighted bird spend flying?

Postby Jenny » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:14 am

I'm not really sure if the advantages of being flighted should be measured by the amount of time the bird flies. In my opinion, it's the opportunity to fly, if it chooses, that the bird benefits from. My cockatiel seems to fly because he enjoys it - either for exercise, to release pent up energy, or to assert his birdiness. He doesn't spend prolonged amounts of time doing it, but does so when he wants to. Having said that, I know that it's easier for me to allow Aaron to do as he chooses outside of his cage because I don't have to worry about doors being unexpectedly opened. Aaron, too, was lured into my care when found in a park - so I'm aware that if he ever got loose, I might not ever see him again. So if I wasn't able to control his environment, I would have to rethink the situation. Cockatiels are excellent fliers though - clipped or not - so clipping a cockatiel doesn't necessarily insure safety.
Jenny
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: cockatiel
white-capped pionus
Flight: Yes

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:22 pm

I have found the response here to be quite interesting and helpful.

Jenny wrote:I'm not really sure if the advantages of being flighted should be measured by the amount of time the bird flies.

Well that wouldn't be an only measure, but in addition to giving a sense of how different my birds lives would be if flighted, it also provides a sense of how much vigilance would be needed to monitor them when out.
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot
Flight: No

Postby Jenny » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:23 pm

You know, I've been thinking about my post since yesterday, & wondered if I had misunderstood the intention of your question. :roll: Thanks for not slamming me!

I'd say that the amount of time Aaron flies is small in comparison to the amount of time he spends crawling around on/in his cage, playing, eating, & just hanging out - maybe 5-10%. But the level of vigilance, for me personally anyway, is markedly increased, & that's in a very controlled environment. I was thinking I'd seen a post from you before stating that doors being opened, etc was a concern in your situation. Is that right?
Jenny
Poicephalus

white-capped pionus

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:49 pm

Jenny wrote:: Thanks for not slamming me!

LOL! What HAS the internet come to, when that requires thanks! You are certainly welcome.

I was thinking I'd seen a post from you before stating that doors being opened, etc was a concern in your situation. Is that right?

We have numerous picture windows and a big sliding glass door, the kitchen and my jewelry studio can't be closed off from the rest of the house, the ceilings are low in a good portion of the house and there are ceiling fans in most of the rooms. Cactus in the greenhouse window. We also have three cats. Outside doors are less of a worry since it's just my husband and I. Right now we can't afford to retool the house, anyway, but I am trying to really educate myself on the pros and cons.
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot
Flight: No

Postby Jenny » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:51 am

sheesh, that is a lot of factors to consider. Cross ceiling fans off your list - I have 'em too (too darn hot in Texas not to have them), but I turn them off when Aaron is out of his cage - simple solution. I have cats also, who are learning how to behave w/Aaron. If they are around when Aaron is out of his cage, I am MUCHO aware of where everyone is.

Hopefully Michael or someone w/a lot of parrot training & experience will weigh in on the remaining issues.

& my goodness but you have a lot of interests! Your birds, cooking, enough of an interest in horses to go to the World Equestrian show, & jewelry making as well! :shock: How do you find time for it all?
Jenny
Poicephalus

white-capped pionus

Postby issy » Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:42 am

Sheldon has spent quite a lot of time flying this last week because his wing clip has finally grown out. I'm on holiday so i've only got a carry cage for him and he only sleeps in it at night, so his out all day.

I've been flight training him and it is going very well, only problem I have is he will fly to me whenever he wants. He has been really good with turning around corners and flying to different rooms, he had no contact with the windows which is also good. =D
Image- Sheldon

Image- Evey
issy
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow Lorikeet
Sun Conure

Previous

Return to Indoor Freeflight