Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Small Houses and Flying

Discuss indoor freeflight and managing freeflighted birds around the house. How to live with a flighted parrot.

Small Houses and Flying

Postby skcopland » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:39 am

Hi everybody,

So my brown headed parrot, Basil is about 5 months old now. I have had him for about a month, and now I am trying to decide if I am going to let his wings grow in or clip him again.

I'm a student half the time, and the other half I am working full time (co-op program!), so I live in shared houses and townhouses. For any of you that has ever lived in student housing, you will know that even a five person apartment is not very large in the student ghetto. I'm not sure whether I should let him be flighted or not, due to the small size of my living quarters. Are parrots unable to fly in small quarters? Would there be a lot of danger of him running into walls, furniture, or windows? I don't think I would have a big problem with not being able to keep him tame, he seems to enjoy being with me, or being on the windowsill more than any food or toy. But, I also do worry about things that aren't safe in the house; I don't have complete control of what's stored in the house. On the bright side, there are no other pets in the house, and my roommates are totally comfortable with having the bird around.

So that's my dilemma! If you can, please give me some of your insight. I'm not too concerned about how Basil will react either way; he is happy without flight as it is, and its fun for him to be able to go outside with me. But I think flight is an ideal, and if its practical then I would gladly have him fly.
skcopland
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Brown headed parrot
Flight: No

Re: Small Houses and Flying

Postby Michael » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:54 am

I can't say much for student housing or your specific living environment. However, in regards to flying in small rooms... Basically if there isn't much room to fly, the parrot won't fly. It will just use flight for hopping from place place or to fly onto your shoulder. It's not like they fly all the time either. They may fly a couple times for exercise and to get from A to B. Otherwise they walk and spend a lot of time perched. I wouldn't be worried about a parrot flying in a small room but greater consideration must be taken into account if you are sharing your living quarters with others. If someone opens a door or window when the bird is out... :?
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby HyperD » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:44 am

The smaller the parrot the better it will be at navigating smaller rooms. My bedroom is probably about 10ft by 10ft and my sennie likes going round in a circle several times :) She has not problem with the space. Of course when there is more room she makes the most of it!
HyperD
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal

Postby Rue » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:46 pm

I think that's enough room for a bird to be happy...they don't need huge spaces...

And not all birds esp. want to fly, my Amazon prefers taxi rides...
Every parrot has a duty: To reduce the world to toothpicks.
Rue
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels -2 hens
Amazon, Green-cheeked
Pionus. White-capped
African Grey, Red-tailed (CAG)

Postby lainmai » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:13 pm

I am also currently in student housing. I'm looking to keep my Sennie clipped for the off chance that something were to happen but once I'm out of school and have a place large enough to set up a bird room I will be allowing it to fly at will. I really think its best in shared accommodations to keep them clipped to avoid issues like open doors, kitchen hazards, as well as the bird going in rooms they shouldn't if someone doesn't close a door etc.
Owned by 2 Parrotlets (Minoru & Midori) and 1 Senegal (Tobi)
lainmai
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Pacific Parrotlet, Senegal

Postby TheNzJessie » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:05 am

i rent a room out at my parents house and my lorikeet does just fine as soon as i let him out he likes to zoom around for a while and sits on my shoulder recovering from the flight (fixing his feathers)
Qwil-:budgie:
Jango-:rainbow:
Jessie-ME
:)
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow lorikeet
Budgie

Postby skcopland » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:34 pm

Hmm... well, I'm going to continue to think about it.

I think what I'll end up doing is initially grow out his feathers, and see if it is manageable, and if it isn't, I will have him clipped again. Is there any problem with doing that?

I also worry, how long does a bird have to be clipped before they won't ever be able to fly well, or does that never happen? I know one day, I definitely want my birdie to be able to fly, so I don't want to jeopardize that by clipping him constantly.
skcopland
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Brown headed parrot
Flight: No

Postby Rue » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:35 pm

That would depend, I think, on if the bird was allowed to fledge properly to begin with.

Just like any activity - the bird needs to develop it's flight muscles to fly well...not to mention balance, aerodynamics, etc. They need practice. If they never fledged, and years go by, they might never fly properly. I wonder if that's what's up with my Amazon.

However, I think you'll be fine clipping for now...and then letting them grow out for full flight later on.
Every parrot has a duty: To reduce the world to toothpicks.
Rue
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels -2 hens
Amazon, Green-cheeked
Pionus. White-capped
African Grey, Red-tailed (CAG)

Return to Indoor Freeflight