Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Parrot Flight Crashes

Discuss indoor freeflight and managing freeflighted birds around the house. How to live with a flighted parrot.

Re: Parrot Flight Crashes

Postby ptuga72 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:28 am

One day Jake was sitting on hubby's shoulder while he was working at the computer (next to some windows) I had the blinds pulled up to let in some light. Out of no where Jake takes off at full speed at the window, that's only 18 inches away (maybe, if not less). He slid done the window to the sill and while hubby was laughing hysterically, I picked him up and checked him out. It was so funny because 1. he knows what a window is and 2. he looked like he was about to take a long flight then BAM! owned by the window.

Another time I had to talk Scarlet to the vet and she tried (unsuccessfully) to fly away from me and the carrier I was holding. She landed in the corner between the door and the wall with her wings spread out, covering the floor. She shook herself off and went right into the carrier.

My last story is about our fosters, Griffith and Alta. Before I get too far into the story, let me tell you that they are wild (from a feral flock) and have neurological damage, we therefore keep them clipped. We had gotten them home from their former foster mom the night before. I tried to get them from the travel cage to their big cage, instead I ended up with two birds on TOP of the cage. So Hubby and I tried to capture them with towels. Alta tried to fly, but ended on the floor, Jake's cage, and Scarlet's cage. We ended up saving her from Scar's cage before she decided to take a taste of Alta. But Griffith managed a half-flight out the door and onto the stairs. She promptly "swam" using her feet and wings down the stairs and behind the couch. Fortunately she ran right into one of Jake's empty slimfast boxes so hubby was able to grab the box. It was so funny to watch him pull out a Slimfast box that was moving and yelling.
Many have forgotten this truth, but you must not forget it.
You remain responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.
-Antoine de Saint Exupery
ptuga72
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Female Eclectus, 1 Green Cheek Conure, 2 Cherry-Headed Conures (fosters)
Flight: No

Postby Azure Hanyo » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:11 pm

Bahahaha...Alta wanted to keep her girlish figure!
Azure Hanyo
Amazon

Flight: Yes

Postby TheNzJessie » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:21 am

my lorikeet has done a pretty impressing 'back flip" to avoid slamming into my mirror when we was learning to fly
Qwil-:budgie:
Jango-:rainbow:
Jessie-ME
:)
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow lorikeet
Budgie

Postby born2fly » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:33 pm

My GCC flew full speed into the screen door and somehow managed to grap on to the mesh. He either pretended like nothing happend or was like wtf happened...not sure. But since then he likes the screen door but he goes to the floor and then climbs on and sits there.

The Red Bellied on the other hand has had numerous wall, door spills. Once he got spooked flew of and I coulnd find him for half an hour. He crashed and dropped into a shoe and sat there quietly or was knocked out by the fumes :D
"If man can save the parrots, he may yet save himself"
Mike Reynolds, World Parrot Trust Founder
http://www.parrots.org
:gcc: - WALL-E :redbelly: - Buddy
born2fly
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure (M)
Red-bellied Parrot (M)

Postby CheekyandMalolo » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:31 am

I had a Tiel(Birdie) who had had a broken wing, and would only fly when she really really had to. Otherwise she'd happily walk everywhere. But is she got a fright, she'd go from one bay window the other *Bang! Bang! Bang! Bang!* until she either hit the floor or you caught her midflight. Funny tho, she never once injured herself or knocked herself out, Chicken or Ella(both Tiels) hit a window ever so hard and they've got the droopy wings and the laggy legs. Poor things.
Made for some amazing imprints on the glass.
Aurora - Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
o'Tika - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
Malolo - Cinnamon Pied Cockatiel
Tim - Red Wing Parrot
Prince - Blue Princess Parrot
Cheeky - Green Cheek Conure(RIP)
CheekyandMalolo
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel x 2
Princess Parrot
Red Wing Parrot
Yellow Sided GCC
Pineapple GCC

Postby skthurley » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:15 am

My scariest situation was when my parrotlet was just learning to fly. We have 2 large sliding glass doors that lead out to the balcony. And in one of his first few flights he crashed into the glass window. He slid to the floor and was stunned for a few minutes, and a big bruise formed on his beak. I immediately realized how stupid I had been, and put up black images of flighted birds on the window to deter him. And the next day, I held him in my hand and touched him to the window several times, so he would understand it was solid. I also set up a perch on the window a few weeks later. He now knows the glass doors are solid and he often enjoys sitting on the window perch gazing outside
Shandi's Fids
Jack the Ripper ---> Pacific Parrotlet
Kiwi ----> Greencheek Conure
Scooter ---> Senegal
skthurley
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Pacific Parrotlet, Green Cheek Conure and Senegal

Postby liz » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:54 pm

Rambo, DYH Amazon, can't really fly. It almost looks like his flight feathers were surgically removed. I have had him for many years (this is his 3rd home) but his wings look too small for his body. He does controlled crashes. He will jump off the top of something and flap for all he is worth only to crash land. He cannot gain altitude at all.

One time he managed to travel from the sunroom, through the dining room and kitchen and crash on the living room floor. My daughter (38) asked who threw the bird at her.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Previous

Return to Indoor Freeflight