Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Underground nesting in free flight aviaries

Discuss indoor freeflight and managing freeflighted birds around the house. How to live with a flighted parrot.

Underground nesting in free flight aviaries

Postby MyAnimalCamp » Mon May 25, 2020 4:36 pm

I have a mixed species enclosure with a dirt floor and mulch. Within the enclosure I have a small colony of Grass Parakeets or maybe Bourke's Parakeets as well as Indian Ring Neck Parakeets and some mammal species. All of my birds have gone to digging out under the large rocks and tree stumps I have in the enclosure, to create underground cavities. They have successfully raised clutches of healthy young in these underground nests. I'm curious if anyone else has birds that have nested underground? I can find no literature on this behavior.
MyAnimalCamp
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: Eclectus, Macaw (Blue and Gold and a Scarlet), Cockatiels, Indian Ring Neck, Red Rump Parakeet, African Grey, plus others
Flight: No

Re: Underground nesting in free flight aviaries

Postby Pajarita » Tue May 26, 2020 11:46 am

Welcome to the forum. I do not have any birds in outdoor aviaries and I do not breed my parrots (I allow them to go through the motions but I do not allow any babies to be born) so I cannot reply to you from a personal experience but I would assume the reason they are doing this is because of a lack of adequate nesting sites. Do you provide species-adequate nesting boxes? If you don't and you are planning on continuing breeding (which I would STRONGLY urge you to reconsider), I recommend you get them wooden boxes because having mammals walking around and over their nests is not only extremely stressful to them, it's also unhealthy and potentially dangerous (what if the whole thing collapses on top of the babies?).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to Indoor Freeflight