Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

lorikeet wont stop landing on my head

Discuss indoor freeflight and managing freeflighted birds around the house. How to live with a flighted parrot.

lorikeet wont stop landing on my head

Postby TheNzJessie » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:38 am

Jango my rainbow lorikeet has gone from landing on my hand every time to landing on my head every time. i tried a suggested method of 'shaking him off' he flies off comes back in a circle and lands on my head again even if i have my hand up for him. i know he knows to land on my hand but hes purposely landing on my head like he enjoys 'bending the rules' he knows hes not aloud on my head but just keeps doing it.

i have no started training him. hes not flying to me for a recall i get him on my hand coming out of the cage and he will jump onto him cage and then fly onto my head and so on. its no way related to my video of calling him.

any ideas?
Qwil-:budgie:
Jango-:rainbow:
Jessie-ME
:)
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow lorikeet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Re: lorikeet wont stop landing on my head

Postby Michael » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:44 am

On the rare occasion that Kili lands on my head, I just shake my head till she falls off and she stops doing it. But your parrot might be playing with you. Try making landing on the hand more reinforcing.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby EJ2010 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:46 pm

Try distraction. Get your bird interested in something else, rather than focus on the 'bad' behavior you don't want.
Lory's are very stubborn & single-minded when they determine that a behavior is fun!
If you make a big deal out of her landing on your head, you are reinforcing the behavior you don't want.
It really is that easy.
EJ2010
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Forstens Lory & Splendid Grass Parakeet

Postby skeetersunconure » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:10 pm

Skeeter does this occasionaly he falls into a habit of lannding on my head when he lands on my head I dump him off and then I put him on his perch and ask him to step up and reward then recall a short distance and then longer and just remind him what he is supposed to do and then he lands on my hand again.
skeetersunconure
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: sun conure

Return to Indoor Freeflight