Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Odd thing going on with Java.

Discuss indoor freeflight and managing freeflighted birds around the house. How to live with a flighted parrot.

Odd thing going on with Java.

Postby Java » Tue May 25, 2010 7:59 am

I know that the pet shop I bought my parrot from clipped his wings, but he has not been clipped since I have him, which was maybe 3 or 4 weeks ago. Lately, past day or 2, he will climb off my shoulders every so often, go on the desk area and run twoards the end of the desk and flap his wings like he is trying to liftoff.

He does not get any height and stays on my desk, but what is he doing when he does this? After he does this 2 or 3 times, he comes back to me on my shoulder.

I noticed too on his wings, one has a long wing that sticks out past his top feathers, and one wing does not have this long feather. Why is one gone, or maybe it just fell out, or maybe they didn't clip properly, who knows, I just thought it was odd. I know I sound like an idiot not knowing the techincal terms for these wings, but I hope you can tell what I mean.

I edited to add a question.

Is he telling me (if I decide to keep him clipped) that it is time to clip his wings?
Java
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Jenday Conure
Flight: No

Re: Odd thing going on with Java.

Postby Michael » Tue May 25, 2010 8:42 am

Java wrote:Is he telling me (if I decide to keep him clipped) that it is time to clip his wings?

No! He's telling you "Don't clip me, I'm a bird and I want to fly!"
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby pchela » Tue May 25, 2010 1:18 pm

When your bird molts he loses feathers gradually and the ones that fall out are replaced with new ones. That's the long one you see on one wing. Eventually they will all grow back in. Birds (even clipped ones) will often grab onto something and flap their wings furiously. It seems to be either for exercise or just for the fun of it. My Grey seems to just have fun doing it.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby Java » Tue May 25, 2010 3:17 pm

I figured it was just exercising or whatever, what got me confused is the running part. It reminded me of a plane gaining speed to ascend.

I have to admit, I would love for him to be able to fly to his cage and back, but he almost gave me heart attack doing this running and flapping thing today because of all my floored animals. I just don't trust any of them to hurt him yet and if he landed on floor, I would have to tackle some animals to get to him.
Java
Cockatiel

Jenday Conure

Postby Java » Tue May 25, 2010 3:21 pm

Michael wrote:
Java wrote:Is he telling me (if I decide to keep him clipped) that it is time to clip his wings?

No! He's telling you "Don't clip me, I'm a bird and I want to fly!"

LOL. I have not been here long on this forum, but if there is one thing that I know is that you prefer not to clip and allow free flight. :senegal:

Did you ever clip Kili's wings? I don't recall reading if you had.
Java
Cockatiel

Jenday Conure

Postby Michael » Tue May 25, 2010 3:59 pm

I never clipped (or requested to be clipped) any birds wings. It's just that at the time I was buying from stores where they initially clip by default and I didn't realize or consider non-clip options at the time. However, I will never again clip or buy a clipped parrot after all the incredible realizations I have made about flight. You really won't know about how great it is until you've lived with a flying parrot. Then you realize that a clipped parrot isn't really a parrot anymore.
Michael
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Return to Indoor Freeflight