Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Interesting Maneuver

Discuss indoor freeflight and managing freeflighted birds around the house. How to live with a flighted parrot.

Interesting Maneuver

Postby Michael » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:50 pm

Kili pulled off a really interesting flight maneuver today. She was already back on top of her cage and I came over to put pellets in her cage before she went to bed. She saw that and wanted to go back in cage. 99% of the time I either put her inside the cage or on the brim of door by hand but today I wanted to see what she would do. She decided to fly so she flew off the top side of cage and flew slightly out and down in a corkscrew spiral around and down to the cage door and landed right on the entrance and proceeded to climb in.

Do yours fly into the cage?
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Interesting Maneuver

Postby Natacha » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:42 am

Mine don't.

Zuri will fly towards her cage though when she sees me starting to put the others in.
Depending on how much she does want in, she'll land on the top of the cage near the door and if the door is open, she'll climbed down and in. If it's not open (I close the doors when they are out so that they don't go eat in each others food bowls, there are plenty to go around out of the cages), she'll just sit there and wait for me to come either open the door or ask her to step up and put her in.
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Re: Interesting Maneuver

Postby Michael » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:45 am

I've been wondering if the bird gets hurt when she brushes things with her flight feathers as she goes. I've seen/heard her make some close calls flying near objects and her feathers touch but no collision. Do you think that hurts them? I know they don't feel through the feathers, but they do where they hook up so I wonder.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Return to Indoor Freeflight