Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Fastest Flyers

Discuss indoor freeflight and managing freeflighted birds around the house. How to live with a flighted parrot.

Fastest Flyers

Postby Michael » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:52 pm

Which parrots are the fastest fliers? Is flight speed related to size (ie bigger ones are fastest or smallest ones are fastest, etc)? Is speed important for indoor flight for parrot-parrot avoidance? Are slower parrots in danger from faster ones indoors? If your birds fly together, can they keep up with one another?
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Fastest Flyers

Postby Mona » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:22 pm

I wonder how many people really have an idea what the answer to this is....

Generally, the more experienced flyers tend to be the fastest. Younger parrots also tend to have more energy so they can be pretty fast. As far as species???? I don't know but I am sure that anatomy would have something to do with speed. I also bet that smaller birds are faster than larger birds. Smaller birds just think a lot faster. Have you ever been buzzed by a Goldie's Lorikeet? They are really fast, like little hummingbirds. Lovebirds are pretty fast too.
Mona in Seattle
Phinneous Fowl (aka Phinney) TAG
Babylon Sengal
Doug (spousal unit)
Jack and Bailey (Gremlins)
Kiri (CAG)
http://www.flyingparrotsinside.com

youtube: Avian Flyers
Mona
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrots, Congo African Grey, Timneh African Grey

Postby alight15 » Mon May 17, 2010 7:52 am

By species as a whole I'd guess cockatiel...I guess in the wild
Though for pets/trained it's mostly based on the individual birds and how well they've gotten used to flight...
Pet Birds & Safe Woods
Keet Korner
Other Links:
http://ezinearticles.com/?cat=Pets:Birds
http://www.birdcagestand.net
http://www.birdguys.com/pet-bird-articles.html
http://www.ehow.com/videos-on_1422_caring-parakeets.html
alight15
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Budgerigars

Postby Ark » Mon May 17, 2010 11:44 am

As for wild birds, if I had to take a guess, I would go with the previous poster who said Cockatiels. Smaller birds with a long, tapered shape are probably the best candidates for faster flight. Also, if we factor in the Cockatiel's habitat, I would assume that it would have a greater need to acheive higher speeds then a species that lives in a denser environment.

Though speed probably does play its role, I would think agility and reaction time may be more useful in avoiding another bird in the average home. Also, if we take a Lovebird as an example, sometimes they are so tenacious that they won't back down until the last minute (if at all) even when faced with a bigger and slower bird, whereas a bird that may be a slower flyer that reacts by fleeing and recognises a threat faster may have a better chance, so that can make a big difference too.

Flight speed would depend on so many things, like the bird's experience, the room he has to learn, even how strong the bird's drive to fly is, etc. Also do species that are generally able to fly faster have the chance to use their speed to its full potential? Like do they always have the room to get to the higher speeds or have the room to maneouver properly at the higher speeds in their home? Maybe some do and maybe some don't, it would be more of an indivudual case, I think.

As for my birds keeping up with each other, I don't know if I got exactly what you were asking. They fly at similar speeds, though the African Grey is much more agile and has more endurance then the Timneh, he also has more drive to fly then the Timneh. The Timneh was clipped for a good portion of her life by her previous owner.
Ark
Cockatiel

Types of Birds Owned: Psittacus erithacus erithacus. Psittacus erithacus timneh.

Postby issy » Tue May 18, 2010 4:29 am

The fasted birds I see in the sky here are Rainbow Lorikeets =D

I would imagine that smaller birds are faster, less body weight to carry XD
Image- Sheldon

Image- Evey
issy
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow Lorikeet
Sun Conure

Postby TheNzJessie » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:08 am

i would have to say the rainbow lorikeet but thats my opinion i have never seen every type of bird fly
Qwil-:budgie:
Jango-:rainbow:
Jessie-ME
:)
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow lorikeet
Budgie

Return to Indoor Freeflight