Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

new to freeflight

Discuss indoor freeflight and managing freeflighted birds around the house. How to live with a flighted parrot.

new to freeflight

Postby GizmoTheBird » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:08 am

i have had my senegal for almost a month now, just now he is learning he has wings! the woman we bought him from kept him in a large cage and he never really learned that he can fly, he is starting to fly more and more (with some crash landings) i am just worried he is going to hurt himself, he usually preferes to just happily sit on your shoulder but lately he has been trying to fly more he is getting better at it im just not sure if i should just clip his wings or let him fly, im kinda torn in weather or not what to do. hes only about 2 and a half years old, when he flys its nothing to bad but a few times he has crashed into the sliding glass window or a mirror. i just dont want him to hurt himself
Gizmo-Senegal
GizmoTheBird
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Flight: Yes

Re: new to freeflight

Postby HyperD » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:21 am

I am no expert but I would assume start with small flights from a perch to your hand and back to the perch. Although that would mean training it commands :D

Then you could slowly increase the distance, then start adding heights/descents, round corners?

I would do all this inside, I would never take a bird outside unless it is harnessed.

I believe Michael got Kili clipped, although she was younger, but I suppose they are never too old to learn!

My sennie who is 12 weeks old is not clipped but hasnt perfected landing, although I think the issue is mostly because he wants to land on my head! I raise my hand and sometimes he will sort of hover for a bit then land on my hand... But other times I think it startles him and he continues flying over me and usually then crashes (softly) into something behind me..
HyperD
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal

Postby Michael » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:46 am

No pain, no gain. They won't learn what to do if they don't learn what NOT to do. Just like it is inevitable that a toddler learning to walk will fall down, a bird will crash when learning to fly. You just have to hope it isn't too hard or some place bad. Kili used to crash a lot when she was transitioning from clipped to flighted but since she has been flighted barely crashes anymore.

The above poster is right. It's a good idea to help them exercise their wings and learn safe flight by targeting them back and forth between perches before they fly all over the place.

Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Fportilla77 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:41 pm

I agree with Michael
Fportilla77
Lovebird

Types of Birds Owned: Pacific parrotlet