Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Is there something wrong with my parrot?

Discuss indoor freeflight and managing freeflighted birds around the house. How to live with a flighted parrot.

Is there something wrong with my parrot?

Postby JaydeParrot » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:41 pm

My parrot Hide is now much tamer but is still a terrible flier, he can fly in a straight line for over 2 meters and then for no reason hit a white wall like he was convinced it's solid, he's done this a fair few times, he doesn't even try to slow down. I know he's not blind because he follows my hand with his head when I move it from side to side infront of him. I can't understand why he can't seem to figure out what's solid and what isn't, he's been like this since I got him but can anyone think of a reason for why he still doesn't understand the concept of a brick wall? Thanks.
JaydeParrot
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Senegal Parrots.
Flight: Yes

Re: Is there something wrong with my parrot?

Postby spiral71 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:39 am

maybe he spooks easily and doesn'e have time to figure out whats around him before he bangs into the wall.
spiral71
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: female indian ringneck 5 to 6 years old

Re: Is there something wrong with my parrot?

Postby Kon-Tiki » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:06 pm

Perhaps think about having his vision checked regardless. Birds can be super deceptive in the first stages of blindness. My blind pigeon can still make out shadows, and colors. She can still follow something moving in front of her, but she doesnt see well enough to avoid obstacles in flight. She will fly full force into walls after bouncing off the ceiling several times on her way there. In fact, despite having raised this bird with a full staff of experienced rehabbers examining her, no one realized she was going blind until after we concluded she couldnt be released and i brought her home. The very first thing she did was walk off a table, and it just sort of clicked for me. Since then her vision has gotten steadily worse, but knowing has allowed me to handle the situation poperly, and still raise her to be a happy and healthy bird.

Also, in the case that it is a perception issue, have you tried putting things up on the walls to serve as warnings? You may have to make it more obvious that there is indeed a wall there. Maybe find some of those window clings that reflect uv light and pin them to the walls, or put up some play nets and get him use to the idea that there is something there for him to fly to and be on. That way if he does panic he will have an established, high place on the wall to fly to.

If you think its a control issue you can start some basic recall training as well. Use it as a means to teach him how to make short, controlled flights and expand from there.

If you havent taken thim to a vet recently I would suggest doing so, and mentioning his flight issues. There may be something neurological going on, but even if there isnt its worth getting him checked out on the offchance that something is affecting his ability to percieve the walls as being solid.
Kon-Tiki
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Green cheek conure, Kazan Tumbler pigeon, Rock Dove

Return to Indoor Freeflight