Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

3 birds soon 2 be flighted, some help w/ safety

Discuss indoor freeflight and managing freeflighted birds around the house. How to live with a flighted parrot.

3 birds soon 2 be flighted, some help w/ safety

Postby feathermum » Thu May 30, 2013 10:33 pm

so, since i'v been on here,couple wks, I have decided that clipping is GONE! I'm not letting ppl tell me how un-safe it is, and clipping is the only resposiable way to keep parrots. in a way I have always felt like clipping wasn't the best for my parrots, but have let others talk me into thinking I was WRONG if I wanted them flighted. well thanks to all you on this forum, I know that it can be done safely :D ! however I would love some tips,b/c very soon I will have 3 flying parrots! the one I am most concernd with is the Eckie i'll be bringing home soon...she was droped off at my work ( we get a lot of neglected, unwanted animals) she is 2,as far as we know, & she is very clumsy flyer.i don't know what her history is, idk if she's ever flown fully...but her flights are almost all in,and she can fly, just not from the floor yet.the thing is everytime she does she crashes :( I don't want her hurt, but I don't see how clipping will help her fly any better. any advise for her? and for genral safety while flying in the house?? I could really use it!! ty :danicing:
~ THE MORE PEOPLE I MEET,THE MORE I LOVE MY PARROTS~
feathermum
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: 1 m nanday conure, 2 jenday conures and S.I. Eclectus F
Flight: No

Re: 3 birds soon 2 be flighted, some help w/ safety

Postby pennyandrocky » Fri May 31, 2013 5:20 am

when they first start to fly hang sheet or curtains up so they have a soft place to land. show them all the windows tap the glass and allow them to tap them too. if you have any pictures hanging or anything you value on shelves take them down.
pennyandmya
pennyandrocky
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: green cheek conure,ducorps cockatoo
Flight: Yes

Postby cml » Fri May 31, 2013 3:23 pm

Its great that youve decided to let them fly, just as nature has intended! Your parrots will love you for it and have a much better life :D! I am happy for you and them.

A couple of tips:

* Do as Penny says with the windows, they need to learn what they are.
* Clear the top of bookshelfs from dangerous things. Clear away things that are dangeorus to land on/in, and things that could be ingested.
* Make sure you have a completely bullet proof system so that you dont open your front door or windows by mistake.
Our system is that we DO NOT open a window AT ALL, unless the parrot room is locked, and the key is placed at a special place. By doing that there's no risk that someone walks in to the parrots and let them out by mistake.
* Dont let them into the kitchen, its full of hazardous things, but that goes for non-flighted parrots as well.
* Proof all electrical wires, and make sure your light bulbs are safe, especially in standing lamps, as they could be toppled over. CFLs are NOT safe, and if broken the released gas might kill your bird.

There's a lot more but most things should be the same with flighted/clipped parrots.
Stitch (WFA) and Leroy (BWP)
cml
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: White fronted amazon, Bronze winged pionus
Flight: Yes

Postby feathermum » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:29 am

ty guys for some very helpful advise :thumbsup: ! we have decided to make the living rm & dining rm open to the fids, b/c those are the rms cages & play areas are in anyways, and they are open to eachother. I am going to hang sheet to the kitchen, & probably a drop cloth (un-used) to divide the upstair / down stairs part in living rm. hubby has already unwired the celling fan, window are good right now for my 3 conures that are home, they just land on the window stands, but when Eckie does come home ( hopefully soon) I think i'll have to cover them as well...she's very clumsy & nervous..so have to take extra care w/ her! & both these rms have no doors to outside!! well there is 1, but no one has ever used it.. in like 35 yrs. Now Spartacus is flying very well, though still can't get lift off the fl. Aroura is glidding :D & tigg is flyin' good too!! like I said I mostly worry about Gemma, I had her out @ work the other day...she got spooked when someone opend the dr and flew into sink, a sink w/ bleach!!! :shock: I just about beat her there, knew that's where she was heading..caught her by her feet in the water, so half her body got in, thankfully NOT her face/head. I imeadetly washed her off in clean warm water. Here that won't5 be a problem, however @ work...there are many :( after that everyone was coming out w/ scissors.. I just said still didn't want her clipped. & when I take her out, i'll make sure sink is empty.. I sO can't WAIT to get hER HOME!!!
~ THE MORE PEOPLE I MEET,THE MORE I LOVE MY PARROTS~
feathermum
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: 1 m nanday conure, 2 jenday conures and S.I. Eclectus F
Flight: No

Return to Indoor Freeflight