Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Landing on moving target

Discuss topics associated with teaching birds to fly. Training parrots recall flight, target flying, and other flying exercises.

Landing on moving target

Postby Pajarita » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:34 am

Macaw practices landing on owner's shoulder (another bird that will fly away someday):

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/mac ... 05320.html
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Re: Landing on moving target

Postby Michael » Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:49 am

They can learn to land on a moving target without necessarily having to fly outside unrestrained. I started by calling a bird and walking slowly as it flew over and worked my way up to calling them while running.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Re: Landing on moving target

Postby Pajarita » Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:16 am

Oh, yes, indeedy! Mine do it all the time - only most of them land on my head but Zoey Senegal and Epuish Caique land on my shoulders without a problem. The problem with macaws is that they need BIG rooms to fly and most people don't have them so your exercising them in a gym idea is a great idea!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Recall Flight & Flighted Tricks