Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Recall session & why birds are meant to fly

Discuss topics associated with teaching birds to fly. Training parrots recall flight, target flying, and other flying exercises.

Re: Recall session & why birds are meant to fly

Postby feathermum » Tue May 21, 2013 8:40 am

hi everyone, i'm new and just saw this post..AMAZING PICS!!! i really wanna work on recall training & letting all my birds being fully flighted. going to try w/ some as the weather gets warmer...but 1 question i have is for anyone who lives in an area like i do, where we have 4 major seasons,like a extreamly cold winter and wicked hot summer..spring & fall who knows? lol but do ur birds get agrivated that they can't go out &fly 6 mos ( or so ) out of the yr? that is one of the reasons why i haven't let them fly outside. both my males have been fully flighted inside,but not enough to do recall...& both my females are rescues, waiting for my jenday to grow her wings back, & my Eckie doesn't seem to have any controll. any sugestions on this?
~ THE MORE PEOPLE I MEET,THE MORE I LOVE MY PARROTS~
feathermum
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: 1 m nanday conure, 2 jenday conures and S.I. Eclectus F
Flight: No

Postby marie83 » Tue May 21, 2013 10:53 am

You can do recall in any amount of indoor space really, of course the more space the better but you can always get them doing several laps of the room before recalling. I dont actually know how you would go about teaching your birds to fly laps though rather than directly across the length of the room but maybe someone else has some ideas.
marie83
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
Flight: Yes

Postby pennyandrocky » Tue May 21, 2013 11:23 am

i wouldn't recomend letting them fly outside. i don't know about your area but there have been alot of hawk sightings where i live and they can snatch your birds out of the sky. i used to do outdoor freeflight before i learned about hawks taking off with peoples parrots. if you don't have enough room in your house some people rent large spaces to allow their birds more room to fly.
pennyandmya
pennyandrocky
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: green cheek conure,ducorps cockatoo

Postby feathermum » Tue May 21, 2013 3:39 pm

well letting them fly in the house isn't a problem, i am just worried about letting them fly outside w/ harrness...( & only harness b/c of hawks & eagles) and then having the change of seasons & not letting them fly or go outside..do any parrots have an emotional effect to not being able to fly outside? or do they just accept it, get to go outside & fly 5 mos a yr, the rest indoors. mabey i'm not wording my thoughts right..sorry :?
~ THE MORE PEOPLE I MEET,THE MORE I LOVE MY PARROTS~
feathermum
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: 1 m nanday conure, 2 jenday conures and S.I. Eclectus F
Flight: No

Postby marie83 » Tue May 21, 2013 3:50 pm

What temperatures do your seasons bring on average?
marie83
Cockatoo

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby Dbeguy » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:54 pm

marie83 wrote:What temperatures do your seasons bring on average?

In Hartford Connecticut, average January daily high temp is 36 degrees Fahrenheit. (2 degrees C.) average January Low is 18 degrees Fahrenheit (-8 degrees C.).

But there are big temperature swings in the Eastern US. Its entirely possible to have warm (short sleeve weather) in the middle of winter. There is usually a thaw at some point.
Dbeguy
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: none yet

Postby Dave & Karen » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:00 am

Those photos are awesome!! Makes me want to get a real camera to get some action shots of our sun conure.. He's by far the best flyer in our flock and his flight feathers have such brilliant color.
Dave & Karen
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 11
Types of Birds Owned: Pacific Parrotlet
Lovebird
Sun Conure
Green Cheek Conure
Indian Ringneck
2 Quakers
DYH Amazon
Cockatiel
2 Budgeis

Postby Victor » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:59 pm

I did not look at how old this is . But then I worked on the bird farm. All the breeders where outside all year. Know this was not a rundown farm. The birds had a inside area. And a out side area. Even the blue&golds could wing flap. And take a short fly to the other perch. Most of the time the big birds would clime from perch to perch. Leaving flying to the smaller birds. That can handle flying in smaller places. So if the them birds can take Oregon's wether year round. With care. Keeping 74 birds out side year round was a bit of work. But if I could manage to keep birds out side all year. I don't see why you couldn't take your pet out most of the year. After all he would not be living outside. Sorry I got a little long winded with this one.
Victor
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: African gray and Cockatiel.

Previous

Return to Recall Flight & Flighted Tricks