Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Meyers parrots

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Meyers parrots

Postby Maddiesmom » Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:13 am

Hello, I am researching meyers parrots as I have
always wanted one however I am hearing so many conflicting opinions on noise level. I see so many saying they are quiet (and I know that every bird is an individual), but seeing any people saying they are super noisy amd "screamers" . Can anyone tell me about their meyers? Thanks in advance!
Maddiesmom
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: African grey, parakeet
Flight: Yes

Re: Meyers parrots

Postby Maddiesmom » Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:16 am

I forgot to add that I am also interested in senegals or red bellied parrots, but chose the meyers as many say they are a bit friendlier/mild tempered (here again, I know personalities will vary). Thoughts? Thank you!
Maddiesmom
Parakeet

Postby Pajarita » Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:05 am

Hi, Madie's mom, welcome to the forum and thank you for doing research before acquiring your new bird friend.

Now, ALL poicephalus (genus that encompases Meyer's, senegals and redbellies amongst others) are considered calm and quiet parrots but, when it comes to the 'quiet' part, it's relative. They are quieter than other parrots but they are not quiet-quiet. And it is not only that individual parrots have their own personality so some are louder than others (I had a female sennie in the rescue that was given up TWICE because she screamed all day long), it also has to do with gender (females tend to be quieter) and, MOST especially, how they live because a parrot that is alone and spends long hours in a cage will scream regardless of how quiet the species is considered.

I only have personal experience with male and female senegals and redbellies and, of those, I've found the redbellies quieter than the sennies but it could be that my redbellies were both just quiet birds so don't take this as the gospel. Zoey (F senegal) is quite quiet when alone but she likes to screech when she is on my shoulder and let me tell you that the screech of this 'quiet' bird is defeaning when done on your shoulder, My male senegal, Sweetpea, is a genius who actually speaks cognitively and I've never heard him make birds vocalizations but he can raise his voice when he feels you are not doing as he expects (like when he asks me something and I don't reply what I am 'supposed to', he would repeat the question louder -LOL)- all he does is speak human. Isis (F redbelly) never makes a single peep and Davy, the male, is also VERY quiet. BUT my birds live cage-free in a birdroom built for them, have companions of their own species, are kept on a strict solar schedule and on a fresh food diet which is not the same as feeding them pellets, keeping them at the wrong light schedule and alone and in a cage for hours and hours. Basically, what I am trying to say is that they have NO reason to scream.

So, yes, pois are quieter than other soecies of parrots but it depends on the husbandry.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Maddiesmom » Wed Oct 04, 2023 1:10 pm

Thank you so much for your input! I really appreciate it! Sounds like you have wonderful happy birds! I get what you are saying too. It'll depend on the individual and other factors. I was reading on a couple other forums where many were complaining about the meyers being the noisiest of the pois so i thought id ask here. This baby is 5 months old and debating whether to bring her home or wait for a red bellied female. A breeder has some just hatched, waiting for them to feather put to see if one is a female. It'll be awhile though! Always wanted a poi.
Maddiesmom
Parakeet

Postby Pajarita » Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:03 am

Pois are great, no doubt about it but they are also very possessive of their humans so, please, take that into consideration if you have children.

Also, does it have to be a baby? Would you consider adopting? Because, if you would and live near me, I could give you my Isis... My husband had a heart attack and can no longer help me as much so I will be putting a number of my animals up for adoption... my birds don't come with cages but they are free and Isis is a calm, quiet, non-demanding (she asks for scritches and rides your shoulder but that's about it), great eating, good bather little girl. I am in NW Pennsylvania but my husband is willing to drive a few hours to meet the adopter.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Maddiesmom » Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:39 am

No I am willing to adopt too, it is just my husband and I, we took early retirement, our children are grown and married. We have 2 grandchildren who are 5 and 7 but they don't handle my birds nor bother them. How old is your red bellied female? Do you think she would adapt well? Hope your husband is alright,
My husband just had his third heart attack, doing well tho.
Maddiesmom
Parakeet

Postby Pajarita » Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:57 am

Well, she adapted very well and fast to living with us so I don't see why she would not adapt to a new home. I do not believe in parrots getting depressed over a rehoming... ALL my parrots came from somewhere else and they all did great with the transition. People forget that they are HIGHLY intelligent and figure out very fast if the new home is good or not. As long as you respect them, have good husbandry and love them, they adapt VERY well. Besides, Isis was always loved so she has known no abuse or neglect from humans and that helps a lot with rehoming.

My husband is doing well. The reason why he had the heart attack is that the plaque that had built on the right coronary artery 'caved in' and created a block which they tried to 'blast open' with laser but, as it didn't work, they put a stent. AND the reason why he had that plaque is that he is VERY stubborn and would not exercise or follow a low cholesterol diet because he insisted that taking medicine was enough. He is now following a super strict diet and will start his cardiac rehabilitation program in another two weeks.

Do you live anywhere semi=close to me? You can pm me if you are interested but, I warn you, you will have to win her over because. most likely, she will prefer your husband at the beginning -she was raised by a man and stuck to my husband from day one but she now loves both of us.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby alin23 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:55 am

The Meyer's parrot, also known as the brown parrot, is a charming and intelligent bird species native to the woodlands and grasslands of sub-Saharan Africa. These small-to-medium sized parrots are prized for their calm personalities, quiet nature, and vibrant colors. mod whatsapp
alin23
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0

Return to Parrot Species