Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

are my caiques homosexual?

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

are my caiques homosexual?

Postby d2_eyes » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:15 am

hi, am new to caiques parrots, i bought 2 black head caiques, but i dont know their genders, they do mate actually but the strange thing when they do that, they change postions,, so is this normal in caiques the female ride the male??? or my 2 caiques are males☹️
d2_eyes
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: african grey,, caique parrots
Flight: Yes

Re: are my caiques homosexual?

Postby Pajarita » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:48 am

Hmmm, in my personal experience, females are more likely to mate-bond with another female than males. I have had 2 female pairs and they did the same thing, they would take turns getting 'on top'. Why don't you just DNA them? Not that it makes any difference because the important thing is that they love one another and are happy. Just be careful what you feed them because caiques cannot stand a diet high in protein and cannot be fed 'parrot mixes' or pellets. I have a blackcap that I took in at 10 years of age and he already came with chronic liver damage because of the 'parrot diet' he was fed and, even though I've had him for years now and has been under a special diet with supplements, he still has issues... People see them looking like parrots and think that a parrot diet is OK for them but, in reality, they eat more like conures than parrots.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby d2_eyes » Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:28 pm

Pajarita wrote:Hmmm, in my personal experience, females are more likely to mate-bond with another female than males. I have had 2 female pairs and they did the same thing, they would take turns getting 'on top'. Why don't you just DNA them? Not that it makes any difference because the important thing is that they love one another and are happy. Just be careful what you feed them because caiques cannot stand a diet high in protein and cannot be fed 'parrot mixes' or pellets. I have a blackcap that I took in at 10 years of age and he already came with chronic liver damage because of the 'parrot diet' he was fed and, even though I've had him for years now and has been under a special diet with supplements, he still has issues... People see them looking like parrots and think that a parrot diet is OK for them but, in reality, they eat more like conures than parrots.

the problem is i do not have a dna test in my country, thanks alot for the reply
d2_eyes
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: african grey,, caique parrots

Postby Pajarita » Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:31 am

You can have it done in USA because all it takes is a feather from the chest sent to an avian lab.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Parrot Species