Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

What age is my lovebird?

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

What age is my lovebird?

Postby vrnkstxx » Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:53 am

Hi! Can anyone help me determine my lovebird’s age? The breeder i got her from is unsure.
https://ibb.co/P6ZSJc7
vrnkstxx
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Peachfaced lovebird
Flight: Yes

Re: What age is my lovebird?

Postby Pajarita » Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:12 am

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new baby. I am no expert (I am against breeding parrots for the pet trade) but going by the small black spot on its beak, I would say it's about 6-8 weeks old. I can't really be more precise because the dark on their beaks does not disappear evenly in all babies, some get rid of it sooner than others.

Now, I am not sure what the breeder told you about the baby's diet - most likely he/she said that it was already weaned but this is not true. Just because a baby eats food by itself it does not mean it is weaned just as a toddler who can now grab a spoon and put food in its mouth is not just sat in front of a table with a plate of adult food. Same as human mothers continue to feed the baby for a couple more years, at least, bird parents continue to supplement their babies own intake with food in their beak so, please, make sure that you are handfeeding it at least twice a day and that you provide soft food (two kinds served warm twice a day, once at dawn for breakfast and once again at dusk for dinner.

Please let me know if you need guidance with the proper diet for babies, juveniles and adult lovebirds (they should not be free-fed seeds, pellets or any other dry, high protein food).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to Parrot Species