Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Vasa Parrot

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Re: Vasa Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:13 am

Female zons are easier than males. Having said that, my first rescue was a redlored female and she was the meanest thing -LOL- She would actually hang from the very edge of the door of her cage, which she would swing open, and stretching her entire body bite you as you walked by. And she screamed all day long. But she calmed down and became friendly and quiet with a good light schedule, diet, freedom from a cage and affection. I had her for 24 years until I had to put her down due to bone cancer...

You mention a dove, an amazon, a gray and a pionus... you do realize that with the exception of he pionus and the zon which are similar in temperament, the others are completely different from each other and what one could give you, the others would not, right?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Re: Vasa Parrot

Postby LisaB » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:07 pm

There were a pair of Vasas that came into the rescue where I formerly worked (am involved with a different organization now), so they very occasionally come in, but it's quite rare. I knew someone who had a Vasa and she was a very cool bird. They are inclined to like a variety of people and don't often bond closely with one person as other species tend to do. Another interesting thing about Vasas is that they hatch and fledge in about the same amount of time as a Cockatiel--very fast!

I've seen a few babies available, but you have to be persistent in searching because when they do become available they find homes very quickly! For more information about Vasas try contacting Laurella Desborough. She runs a Vasa breeding project and once in awhile has a baby available. Her website is: http://www.eclectusbreeder.com. She works primarily with Eclectus parrots, but is also a great resource for Vasa parrots--diet, personality, and care. I've found that regardless of your stance on breeding parrots, people who have bred a species for decades very often have a lot of good information to share.

Personally, I think the Greater Vasa is the coolest parrot out there. They look like a cross between a dinosaur and a crow. The only Mealy I’ve seen in rescue was a big, sweet boy, but man could he bust your eardrums! Not quiet at ALL! :o
LisaB
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 25
Types of Birds Owned: Green-winged Macaws, Yellow-collared Macaw, Quakers, Black-capped Caiques, Green-naped Lorikeet, Cockatiel, Budgies, Green-cheeked Conure, Crimson-bellied Conure, Sun Conure, Patagonian Conures, Yellow-naped Amazon, Cape Parrot, Lovebirds
Flight: Yes

Previous

Return to Parrot Species