Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Senegals & Other Parrots

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Senegals & Other Parrots

Postby essi » Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:46 pm

I was curious to know whether other Senegal owners (or Poicephalus owners in general) have had any luck regarding their birds engagement with other species of birds.

I think it's safe to say that Senegals are a fairly... hmm. Proactive ? :lol: Bird in regards to chasing other birds off. My curiosity was regarding whether any successful introduction to other birds is possible. Not to be best friends, but just to curb some of this....... proactiveness that usually involves going in beak first. :?

I've found my Senegals also tend to get a bit rough and tumble with each other, even the ones who may get along at other points in the day. All three are youngings and I suspect our moodiest is simply hitting her pubescent age, but as for our Lilo– she's friendly and friends with all people. But other birds ? Count her out !

Hers is not a phobia. She prefers to fly and knock other birds down and chase them around. I don't mind juggling the birds so they all have their chance out and about, but I'm wondering if there's a snowballs chance in hell of 'desensitizing' her to these flight tactics.

I will be working with her in hopes that in the years to come it'll decrease at least a bit, but I'd just be curious to hear other perspectives.
essi
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 28
Types of Birds Owned: African Grey, Senegal, Caique, Green Cheek Conure, Lovebird, Canaries, Gouldian Finches, Owl Finches, Star Finches, Society Finches, Zebra Finches, Bishop Weaver
Flight: Yes

Re: Senegals & Other Parrots

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:38 am

I have a male/female pair of sennies. The male is about 25 and the female is 14 or so and they both do fine with other birds -they live cage-free in a birdroom with other birds (lovies, quakers, amazons, caiques, bluehead conure, nanday, GCC and African redbelly. But, when Isis, the female ARB, first came, Zoey Senegal used to hate her and would initiate fights with her. It took a few years (sennies are SUPER stubborn) but she is now fine with her and any other bird. She doesn't fight or interact with them and neither does the male (he never did), she simply ignores them... but, in truth, she doesn't pay that much attention to the male, either - she is a mama's bird.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to Parrot Species