Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Jardine and Meyer's hell

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Re: Jardine and Meyer's hell

Postby DanaandPod » Wed May 25, 2016 1:58 pm

They do seem to be both great specimens of their type! Thanks. Every day...something new happens and it is not at all what I would consider "Hell" anymore. Today, Cali--Piccolo snuggled with me. That was absolutely adorable!. One thing that is absolutely great is despite Pods jealousy aggression...he hasnt cared in the least about any attention I give separately to this other bird. Piccolo has been an absolute audience to all of his antics too. Also, despite all the reasons and possibility around the sex of this parrot, one again the male budgie flew in for a peek of her. It seems too ironic that only the male is interested in Piccolo. And, only the female budgie is interested in Pod.
Piccolo and Pod
DanaandPod
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: male Jardines parrot, a female meyers parrot, and two budgies
Flight: Yes

Postby Wolf » Wed May 25, 2016 10:31 pm

Great Dana, it looks to me like Pod is beginning to accept Piccolo. Just continue to keep a close eye on them and they will work it out.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Fri May 27, 2016 9:38 am

Yes, great news! It's always real hard to balance things out when one bird absolutely refuses to share its human. As to the budgies, it might not be really sexual interest, Dana... budgies are very curious, in your face type of birds and, most likely, they are just checking things out.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby seagoatdeb » Fri May 27, 2016 2:29 pm

I have never had any trouble with Budgies and Pois, or different Pois species. The most trouble I ever had was cockateils with Pois. Pois are usually much too agressive with cockatieils. Budgies seems to "get" Pois better.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus

Postby DanaandPod » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:32 pm

Just an update since its been a while. Still havent had the meyers sexed. Ive had some personal set backs that interviened. So far, Cali-Piccolo and Pod arent even friends. But, i have accepted and got used to things. I have managed my morning ritual too by having Cali-Piccolo perch with almond bits (and she flies back and forth to my shoulder for more) while Pod does his flying and tricks. Then i move him to his second half of breakfast, meanwhile i fly and train her-him. And shes learning and has completely overcome the second guessing and fear of flying that she came to me with. They for the most part co exist. Sometimes Cali-Piccolo likes to perch near whereever he is to watch which is neat. She is such a mild and quiet bird in comparison! And, oh so very sweet. Nippy when she wants her way. But smart and sweet for a tiny bundle. Occasionally Pod antagonizes her but usually he does his own thing. I feel sorry for when he rejects the other bird. But i make up for it in attention. And the one amazing thing is that Pod, even with his jealousy aggression toward objects i use...doesnt care in the slightest about attention i give to her. Though im not a bird expert, i chuck this up to the fact that he gets plenty one on one too.
Piccolo and Pod
DanaandPod
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: male Jardines parrot, a female meyers parrot, and two budgies

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:28 am

Well, it takes a long time for birds that are used to been alone to really accept another one and they have only been together for a couple of months so the Meyer's honeymoon is not even really over yet -meaning, there is still high hope that they will bond.

Just a question because I am not sure I understood correctly: you train with nuts before you feed them breakfast?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Previous

Return to Parrot Species