Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

New baby conure questions...

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

New baby conure questions...

Postby Jacquieh418 » Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:27 pm

Hi, My name is Jacquie, I recently bought a baby conure. I have birds, just not parrot's. My conure, is around 8 weeks, I think... maybe older. He's wonderful. I have the Wizard book and I'm reading it. I haven't been actually bit by my boy, but when he's sitting on my hand, he will rub his cheeks over my fingers, explore my finger nails with his beak, all very gently, then he bites harder. I can tell it's not out of anger or fear, more like he's seeing how hard I will allow him to bite!? I almost feel like he's "teething" for lack of a better term! Lol After a few times, I started giving him one of his toys to chew/destroy as he's sitting on my finger. I want to make sure I'm doing everything right, I don't want to do something that causes more issues and I have to correct them. He's a sweet baby boy and I have no issues with him. Any suggestions? Is his behavior just a baby thing?
Jacquieh418
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 35
Types of Birds Owned: Chickens, turkeys, pigeons, house sparrow, conure
Flight: Yes

Re: New baby conure questions...

Postby Pajarita » Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:26 am

Yes, it is. We call it 'beaking' and, usually, it feels more like a bite when they start doing it. It's like puppies chewing everything they find and babies putting everything to their mouth. When he does it, move your hand/fingers away from him and tell him 'No, be gentle' or something similar so it starts learning to measure his strength. Now, the MOST important thing you can do now is to feed it right because, at 8 weeks, it is still a VERY young baby that, in reality, is way too young to be separated from their parents or even weaned so you need to handfeed it formula twice a day with a syringe and give it two different kinds of soft food served fresh and warm twice a day (at dawn and at dusk). Also, please do not attempt to train it until it's a juvenile.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to Taming & Basic Training