Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

How to Teach Parrot to Step Up and to Come Out of Cage

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Re: How to Teach Parrot to Step Up and to Come Out of Cage

Postby jazzyjessie1353 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:39 pm

Uh oh....... I guess this should tell you how new to this I am.

I haven't for a couple weeks now, but usually I put millet in his cage just as a snack or even a toy. Is it too late to turn it around?
jazzyjessie1353
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: I own a Sun Conure, but I've played with, handled and LOVED all types of parrots.
Flight: No

Postby Michael » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:49 pm

It's ok. But you're definitely not at the stage where you could teach your parrot to play dead. You must teach the parrot how to learn and that is where target training comes in. It teaches the parrot that you will ask it to do things and it has to try to figure out what you want it to do. Once it understands the concept, then you only need to focus on training specific tricks.

Actually the fact that you've been giving millet in cage won't harm your trick training. It may even help it. Just never give the parrot millet in the cage. Nor any other treats for that matter. The parrot will start to miss those treats cause they won't be available in the cage and for this reason will try to do behaviors you cue during training. Just read the guide over thoroughly, watch the videos. Really work on getting through the initial stages (even if your parrot comes out of the cage to you willingly, then just teach target training on some out of cage area just for targeting rather than step up).
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby Lisa89 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:32 pm

Hi there,

I just want to say how amazing this guide is. I've got two parrots, one :gray: and one :amazon: the gray is friendly as anything with my whole family my amazon was the first parrot we got and now I'm his official owner (when I turned 20 he became mine instead of my parents) and we've had him around 10 years.

This guide is amazing! He's been taking treats from me for 2 years already and I can hand feed him in or out the cage but without a treat he would get very afraid if I went inside his cage. This guide though in just this one day he's following the target stick around the cage.

The only drawback is I don't have a clicker and with it been Sunday pet shop is not open so cannot get the clicker until tomorrow.

With him following the target stick and getting treats without the clicker effect his training if I bring in the clicker tomorrow? Or should I continue without the clicker? (Been clicking with my mouth instead ^^)
Lisa89
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Orange Winged Amazon, African Grey

Postby sash4 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:57 pm

Im using this guide for my two indian ringnecks, and its working, within a few goes they got the knack of target training. our two ringnecks are approx 6 months old, never been handled by anyone,
But they have seem to have taken to us very quickly, possibly grateful for the attention as the previous owners kept them alone outside in a shed with little contact.... great advice on this subject.....

P.s the cages are 3ft apart and they take the huff when training as they are impatient for their turn lol.....
sash4
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: cockatiels,, indian ringnecks

Postby bmsweb » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:22 pm

Lisa89 wrote:The only drawback is I don't have a clicker and with it been Sunday pet shop is not open so cannot get the clicker until tomorrow.

Hi Lisa, I would continue if I were you and you could always make the click sound with your mouth or just say "Good Bird". When we started teaching our Cockatiel (Jazz) I used one of my Son's MatchBox cars that would make a click sound when you pressed down on its rear suspension. You can use anything. Once we got the clicker it didn't really make any difference as Jazz already had the idea.

Good Luck with it.

Cheers
Paul
bmsweb
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel, Green Cheek Conures

Postby Lisa89 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:32 pm

Okay, thanks so much <3 I'm amazed how far he's come in just the one day! I've never seen progress like this before with him.
Lisa89
Parakeet

Postby bmsweb » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:41 pm

I know what you mean!

I only wish I took video of Jazz when we first got him, because if I tell anyone what he was like, there is no way they would believe me. Its like he's a different bird. I've been doing clicker training with Jazz for about 5 or 6 weeks now and he is amazing loves being with us.

For the next couple of weeks you will see progress like you wouldn't believe.
bmsweb
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel, Green Cheek Conures

Postby Lisa89 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:49 pm

I took a video for a V-log for my Amazons first target training so I could actually see the changes, it's amazing the way I see it. First time training a bird, use to training dogs etc but parrots are so different but so intelligent. I really hope this progresses good but I have a feeling when he's able to walk onto my hand he won't let me touch him I don't think so thats another step I'll need to work on after this heh
Lisa89
Parakeet

Postby sash4 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:15 pm

Here is my two ringnecks Tikko and Indie
Attachments
100_0129.jpg
100_0129.jpg (42.25 KiB) Viewed 31184 times
sash4
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: cockatiels,, indian ringnecks

Postby Lisa89 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:57 pm

My amazons cage is really tall so it would be hard for me to do the touch training outside the cage without scaring him with the stick. Been doing it through the bars of his cage so he can get use to the chopstick I'm using before taking it out and doing it, I took the following clip to get any tips of what to do anything different when trying this as he does a little squawk when the chopstick first goes through a bar to his cage.

(This was our first try with getting him from a lower perch where he'd just drank to a higher perch he doesn't stand on much.)

Link here: http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/3685/movie37.mp4

Oh here's the first try as well which I was well proud of him of!

http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/1996/movie36.mp4
Lisa89
Parakeet

PreviousNext

Return to Taming & Basic Training