Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

How to Teach Parrot to Step Up and to Come Out of Cage

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Re: How to Teach Parrot to Step Up and to Come Out of Cage

Postby Kathleen » Thu May 06, 2010 2:32 pm

Cover the cage or put the cage away.
Kathleen
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Flight: Yes

Postby budgiebuddy » Thu May 06, 2010 3:20 pm

that does make sense :D also would you happen to know what might be going on i work with my budgie on stuff fifteen minutes at a time but when i come back to do the next training session he acts like he has no clue what i want him to do it is kinda getting upsetting but i dont show it in front of her could you please help with this one too :budgie: :budgie: :budgie:
budgiebuddy
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: budgie

Postby budgiebuddy » Fri May 07, 2010 7:54 am

I was wandering would anybody know of any parrot trainers in or near stafford virginia????? i really need some help with my :budgie:
budgiebuddy
Conure

Postby Kathleen » Fri May 07, 2010 12:13 pm

Maybe he's not interested in the treats. Might not be hungry.

If you need extra help with training, sorry I don't know of any trainers in that area, but you could go to your nearest pet store or bird rescue and see if you could get some resources or advice. You could also order some training books or dvds.
Kathleen
Amazon

Postby budgiebuddy » Fri May 07, 2010 1:34 pm

well thaks i am actually going to a stor to night i was wandering do you know all the tricks you taght duke i just ant to know cause i have a budgie and i was wandering what all is possible for them :budgie:
budgiebuddy
Conure

Postby Kathleen » Fri May 07, 2010 3:39 pm

Wave, turn around, go through tube, go through slinky, go down slide, hang upside down like a bat, and fetch are some of the tricks.

Budgies have a lot of potential. There were more tricks that I planned to teach Duke but he died.
Kathleen
Amazon

Postby budgiebuddy » Fri May 07, 2010 6:28 pm

that is so sad y dont you get another and could you tell me how you got him to do that bat trick :budgie:
budgiebuddy
Conure

Postby Kathleen » Fri May 07, 2010 7:38 pm

Had Duke perched on one finger of one hand and had him lay down on the palm of my other hand. Laid him back on my hand this way and rewarded, and progressively tipped my hand backward more. Gadually, after many repeats and many rewards, he was closer and closer to being upside down, but his back was still in contact with the palm of my hand. Eventually, he was hanging upside down but my hand was still touching his back. Then I reduced the amount of hand that was touching his back. After that, I pulled my entire palm away from his back and he was hanging upside down for a few seconds, and then rewarded. Eventually he was used to this and I didn't have to put my hand there anymore. I really cannot describe this process very well with words. I just want to say though that I taught Duke this entire trick in one day.

Also, I plan to get like 5-10 budgies eventually. If it happens, I'll be keeping them flighted and train them.
Kathleen
Amazon

Postby budgiebuddy » Fri May 07, 2010 8:38 pm

that is cool thankyou for telling me i know i ask alot of questions but could you tell me how you got duke hand taim :budgie:
budgiebuddy
Conure

Postby Brittanyv326 » Thu May 27, 2010 8:40 pm

Thank you so much for this outline Michael! So incredibly helpful! I went and got clickers today and at first my bird was freaked out and would back off when I clicked, but then I put it behind my back to muffle the noise a bit. I tried seeds I bought specifically for treats - no luck. He was interested at first, but they were so tiny I had to use a lid to give it to him and he wanted to take the whole lid. Too much of a distraction. So I remembered that he loved apple that I gave him, and sliced some up really, really tiny (but bigger than the seeds). With the apple, he got used to the clicker training and we definitely worked on trust, I wasn't so scared of his beak, he wasn't so scared of my hand. I think I moved too quickly to the target stick because he retreated and was freaked out by it, so I put it away and saw he was getting sleepy. Letting him sleep now, but I'm delighted at the progress we've made and I have you to thank!! I will continue the clicker for a couple more days before trying the stick again. THANK YOU! What would I do without your forum?!?
Brittanyv326
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal.

PreviousNext

Return to Taming & Basic Training